Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Developments at Avebury
Feb 16, 2011, 18:37
jackyboy wrote:
They can be dropped off in the village though.

True, although the police can be a little difficult during summer solstice time when people try to stop in the Henge

It does bring us back to the question of public loos though. I can’t remember, but is there a toilet for the disabled in Avebury? If there isn’t, and given the number of visitors there each year, there must surely be a case for having one – and an easily accessible one at that.
jackyboy
145 posts

Feb 16, 2011, 18:46
Littlestone wrote:
As for geting back on topic well where do you start and stop? A path around the stones for wheelchairs?!!!!!

Actually, that is precisely what was done at the Rollright Stones a few years ago – site friendly and opened by Aubrey Burl no less.

Is this the future you would like to see for Avebury ?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 16, 2011, 18:55
jackyboy wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
As for geting back on topic well where do you start and stop? A path around the stones for wheelchairs?!!!!!

Actually, that is precisely what was done at the Rollright Stones a few years ago – site friendly and opened by Aubrey Burl no less.

Well with equal rights, H&S and all that who knows!
jackyboy
145 posts

Feb 16, 2011, 19:05
Sanctuary wrote:
jackyboy wrote:
Littlestone wrote:

Well with equal rights, H&S and all that who knows!

Yea but, my question was, is that what LS would like to see for Avebury
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 16, 2011, 19:11
Has anyone mentioned the road crossings from the SW to SE quadrants yet or the one from the NW to NE they as they can be lethal, especially for school parties! Should they be light controlled?
jackyboy
145 posts

Feb 16, 2011, 19:19
Avebury is part of the Blue Badge scheme
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Feb 16, 2011, 20:38
Disabled access
Feb 16, 2011, 19:34
I don’t see why not, if it's a site-friendly path (similar to the one at Rollright) laid for those in wheelchairs. Why should only the able-bodied have up-close access to the stones?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 16, 2011, 19:36
Sanctuary wrote:
Has anyone mentioned the road crossings from the SW to SE quadrants yet or the one from the NW to NE they as they can be lethal, especially for school parties! Should they be light controlled?

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=61521&message=781420
jackyboy
145 posts

Feb 16, 2011, 19:49
It's just that I have seen mobility scooters there before. In fact the last time it was the 'keeper' himself. So I didn't realize there was a problem.
jackyboy
145 posts

Feb 16, 2011, 20:04
jackyboy wrote:
It's just that I have seen mobility scooters there before. In fact the last time it was the 'keeper' himself. So I didn't realize there was a problem.
From what I can find out. Blue Badge holders can park for free in the Main Car Park, the Village Car Park, and in the designated spaces in the Old Farmyard and conditions at Avebury are good enough for mobility scooters to access most of the areas. No need for a tarmacked car park then.
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index