Developments at Avebury

Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Developments at Avebury
Feb 17, 2011, 16:35
Would you be apposed to a charge if it was to guarantee it's welfare?

It is possible to guarantee something’s welfare without charging for it – at least not charging the individual directly for it but spreading the cost of its upkeep throughout society.

The Church has got it wrong when it charges an entrance fee to get into most of our cathedrals as it reduces those places to a sightseeing experience not a place of worship or a place to be inspired. Our great national museums have got it right by not charging, but asking for donations.

Nigel has also got it right when he says, “...why not honesty boxes?” That’s what’s in place at Stanton Drew. And I wouldn’t mind paying over the odds for a decent coffee, with a good view of Avebury, if I knew the money was going into the upkeep of the place ;-)
sleeptowin
sleeptowin
114 posts

Feb 17, 2011, 16:40
being a member of NT and EH, i dont have to pay to go to these sites or park. though sometimes i think its a bit of a waste of money as most of the places i go are free.
but i dont mind as my money or some of it anyway, get used to look after these places.

i dont know why people would think its a right to visit everywhere for free because its old. some one owns it. castles arnt free.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 17, 2011, 17:13
Littlestone wrote:

Nigel has also got it right when he says, “...why not honesty boxes?” That’s what’s in place at Stanton Drew. And I wouldn’t mind paying over the odds for a decent coffee, with a good view of Avebury, if I knew the money was going into the upkeep of the place ;-)

So why not honesty boxes at all sites? I'll tell you why...because a great deal of people are, although not completely dishonest, unlikely to chip in when there is nobody else about to observe them NOT putting anything in. They just don't work, hence the absence of them through that and theft.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Feb 17, 2011, 18:30
Feb 17, 2011, 18:29
So why not honesty boxes at all sites? I'll tell you why...because a great deal of people are, although not completely dishonest, unlikely to chip in when there is nobody else about to observe them NOT putting anything in. They just don't work, hence the absence of them through that and theft.

Yes, there is a difference between an honesty box and a donations box – I should have made it clear that I meant the latter. Agreed that still won’t stop some people, who can afford it, from not dropping something into a donations box but it would allow those who can’t afford it access without the burden of having to pay for it.

I disagree with you that honesty/donation boxes don’t work; they do need to be carefully managed though.
megadread
1202 posts

Feb 17, 2011, 18:58
Littlestone wrote:

Yes, there is a difference between an honesty box and a donations box – I should have made it clear that I meant the latter. Agreed that still won’t stop some people, who can afford it, from not dropping something into a donations box but it would allow those who can’t afford it access without the burden of having to pay for it.

I disagree with you that honesty/donation boxes don’t work; they do need to be carefully managed though.

The one at Arbor Low seems to work.
I'm not in favour myself, it'd only be a matter of time till donation boxes became admittance fee boxes imo.
Afaic there should never be any sort of fee to enter Avebury, ever.

An example that made me laugh, the crop circle across from Silbury last solstice, the farmer put up signs and left an honesty box, the sign said something along the lines of "place donations here, minimum donation £2", i had £1.20 in change so he got f00k all. : )

Also, a few weeks back Juamei and myself visited Sheffield museum, which is free entry, the first thing you see on entry, a "donation" box, i can't remember the exact wording, but something along the lines of "minimum suggested donation, £5". !
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Feb 17, 2011, 19:07
Littlestone wrote:

Not wishing to appear argumentative - I used to go to Avebury a lot and whilst I might consider making a donation now and then I can categorically say I wouldn't do it on a regular basis. The Avebury I like to visit stretches up to Fyfield Down, over th WKLB and EKLB, Silbury, Beckampton Ave and Windmill Hill. The National Trust make enough money from their carpark, cafe and entrance fees to museum and manor (remember mostly staffed by volunteers - except for the cafe). They also charge exorbitant fees to go into places such as Stourhead if you are not a member - which I'm not.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Feb 17, 2011, 20:12
nigelswift wrote:
A small confession though, I must have something missing as I don't at all mind paying to get in to places and have no urge to claim I have some ancient right to free access. Someone has to pay to upkeep places, why not we visitors? Seems fair. Who else, taxpayers? Why?

Anyhow, since it definitely ain't gonna happen it's not worth bothering about. BUT since the country is skint and these places DO need looking after, why not honesty boxes? Who would be so mean as to think five quid wasn't reasonable for a visit?

I agree with this in principle (although £5 may be a bit steep, unless this is going to become the preserve of the better-off), but sadly the honesty box at the Rollrights didn't really work in the end, and not because of the majority of people who genuinely want to visit but because of the actions of the minority of idiots.

Another option is a "permanent" custodian arrangement (such as at Chysauster in Cornwall), but this means that the site is closed for large amounts of the time - at night, out of season, etc.

The other thing worth bearing in mind is that NT and EH should be using (and do) some of the revenue from their more "intact" properties to pay for the upkeep of free to enter sites. I am not an NT member, but I am an EH one. I rarely visit EH's pay sites (although I do use it for CADW castles, etc), but I choose to pay for membership to help with upkeep costs of the sites that EH don't charge for. Obviously, I can't "direct" where my membership goes, but that's the way I think of it.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Benches
Feb 17, 2011, 20:14
A few benches would be nice (not actually in the quadrants of course).

Think there are some picnic tables at the top of the main car park, and there’s a bench on the footpath between Avebury and Avebury Trusloe. Are there any more other than those in the churchyard? There are none by the two bus stops which seems strange. Perhaps one could be placed on the grassy island in front of the public loo. A few more by the duck pond and the Keiller Museum?

If cost is a problem maybe they could be gifted by people who love Avebury.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 17, 2011, 20:28
I think a donations box (yes that, not an honesty one) ought to work fine if heavy and locked and placed at the henge entrance opposite the Lion and of course covered at night.

I think it's worth reflecting just how skint heritage bodies have suddenly become. The cake won't stretch and it's no good us lot of all people saying we don't want to pay a few quid. It's two thirds of a pack of fags or two beers or a dribble of petrol for the privilege of spending the afternoon at the world's greatest stone circle....

We've had two people come to Megameets from America twice, we're very lucky to have it in our country.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 17, 2011, 20:38
I think a donations box (yes that, not an honesty one) ought to work fine if heavy and locked and placed at the henge entrance opposite the Lion and of course covered at night.

Hear, hear, though maybe also at the entrances to each of the quadrants, and emptied before the last NT member clocked off for the the day?
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index