Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Feb 16, 2011, 20:35
Re: Developments at Avebury
Feb 16, 2011, 20:16
goffik wrote:
Pssst... LS... I smell sockpuppet! ;)

G x

Yup, someone who knows a lot about Avebury... now who could that be ;-)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Road management
Feb 16, 2011, 20:23
Littlestone wrote:
I do. We have 20 MPH speed limits with 'speed bumps' and no HGV's are allowed.

Good suggestion (though I think it has been made before).

Along with speed bumps and no HGVs, perhaps even a 15MPH speed limit from the entrance to the main car park to past the Diamond Stone is called for (it’s presently 30MPH).

Perhaps also pedestrian crossings (without lights of course) from the north-west quadrant to the north-east quadrant, from the north-west to the south-east (the one in front of the Red Lion which is particularly dangerous) and from the south-west to the south-east quadrant (at present pedestrians have no right of way when crossing the road at those places). Because of the number of overseas visitors to Avebury it might also be useful to have, as they have in London, signs on the road saying Look Right!

Ah yes thanks LS. The thread got so confused I was losing touch with things. What are they waiting for at these crossing points...people to die before they do anything!
jackyboy
145 posts

Feb 16, 2011, 20:27
OMG what. I have been to Avebury about ten times in my life and thats it. I saw the keeper of the stones in a wheelchair not last year but the year before I think. No mistaking him. Google disability parking Avebury see what you come up with. unbelievable.
faerygirl
412 posts

Feb 16, 2011, 20:41
The Sea Cat wrote:
Resonox wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
To be honest, and I don't like having to say this, but if any future replies of yours to any of my occasional posts would be in such a supercilious manner, I would rather you did not reply to them.

edited for grammar

Your meaning being ?... I wouldn't worry though, I don't post here often and I don't think I will bother much again actually.

Om Shanti

edited.

OH SC dont get put off. Its just a lot of hotair

xx
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Road management
Feb 16, 2011, 20:56
Ah yes thanks LS. The thread got so confused I was losing touch with things. What are they waiting for at these crossing points...people to die before they do anything!

Aye, true.

I’m sure any sort of development at Avebury is important to most of us, and it’s easy to get worked up about how and what that should be. Sorry to put a temporary stop on this but maybe we need a bit of time to mull things over. Will unlock the thread tomorrow if that’s OK.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Feb 16, 2011, 20:59
faerygirl wrote:

..... I wouldn't worry though, I don't post here often and I don't think I will bother much again actually.
Om Shanti

edited.

xx[/quote]

Can I second that emotion. Am sorry you took some flack for answering a post made me, I took a step back until the dust settled as to say any more would not have been helpful.

atb and thanks

J
VBB
558 posts

Feb 17, 2011, 09:47
tjj wrote:
faerygirl wrote:

..... I wouldn't worry though, I don't post here often and I don't think I will bother much again actually.
Om Shanti

edited.

xx

Can I second that emotion. Am sorry you took some flack for answering a post made me, I took a step back until the dust settled as to say any more would not have been helpful.

atb and thanks

J[/quote]

Quite like old times on tma for a moment there. The subject matter does raise the passion level. The important thing is not to fall out for long because Avebury needs commited people to watch out for it. That we don't always agree about every detail is irrelevant, hang in there folks!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 17, 2011, 09:56
Littlestone wrote:

So, what (if any) are acceptable developments at Avebury? .

Okay, so the topic is open again. Good.

First and foremost in my mind with regard to development is of course the preservation of the WHS itself. Can we class the re-erection of stones as development...yes I believe we can, so that would be top of my list to bring the henge back as far as possible to its former self.
But running parallel with that would be a greater influx of people visiting Avebury to see these developments so they have to be catered for.
If there are not enough facilities to cope, i.e. toilets, food outlets, car parking, anything...then get on and provide them, but in a controlled and sympathetic way taking into consideration the historic value of the site and the people who actually live there. This is not just a place to visit because by doing so we are intruding into other peoples lives.
Love it or loathe it H&S and equal rights will play a part. Each and every one of us know or have someone who is old/disabled/young who could benefit from a few safety improvements or additions. The road crossing need serious addressing before someone is seriously injured or killed and more provision must be given to the disabled. A simple trackway for wheelchairs around the henge would brighten the lives of many many people who are missing out on so much that we all take for granted. There is so much more that could be done to enhance everybodies enjoyment of what our fantastic great ancestors have bequeathed us.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 17, 2011, 10:25
First, let's establish some principles to guide us. Number one is that developments should be judged by whether they mainly benefit the WHS or the applicant.

There isn't another.

Judged like that, a lot of recent and pending developments should be opposed. Including anything by NT. They're over-dominant. It ain't their WHS. They have 2 museums, a shop, a cafe and now they want to add another retail outlet to take a further share of the tourist pound from the other outlets in the village (who have to pay them rent).

The principal motivation for the new outlet is to make money for NT (and it won't make much judging by how they run tea rooms elsewhere), not to enhance Avebury so it's a definite no-no.

So there.

PS
90% of what's need in Avebury is a 15 mph speed limit and speed bumps. Anyone who opposes that doesn't truly have the public interest at heart.

So there again.
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index