Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Myths, truths and theories - Stonehenge
Sep 05, 2010, 16:38
Sanctuary wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
but things shoud be termed correctly as it can give the wrong impression.

Fair enough, but you should take it up with EH and the rest. ;)
Stub tenon it should be apparently, rather than a through tenon (according to Wikipedia....)

The other amazing thing about their effort is that they fashioned the lintols and joints by pounding a rock twice as hard as granite with a ball of similar rock.....

Yes I already said the true term was stub tenons Nigel but only at best!! A normal stud tenon would be the full width of the material use but only go into its matching partner a given distance. That actually would have been comparitively 'easy' to do compared to a full m&t but easier still is what they actually did which really amounts to a type of non-flexible ball and socket joint. Whatever we think about it you do have to admire them don't you!

And yes, the pounding away to fashion the lintols to me shows that this was serious stuff and certainly no folly as has been suggested!!

I should mention that when I was in Egypt I visited the Temple of Dendera and was invited to look at where the 'caretaker' lived...up on the roof! The flat stone roof was contructed of massive stones some 6ft wide and around 20ft in length and at the ends were cut out open dovetail joints. So if you can imagine it when two stones were joined end to end it left an open double dovetail joint to which they amazingly crafted this huge locking dovetail piece which they then inserted. As I've said I am a chippy by profession but these guys make you blush with their precisionship because you couldn't slip a knife blade between the joints. You have to ask...how the hell did they do it?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index