110 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Myths, truths and theories - Stonehenge
Sep 04, 2010, 18:59
StoneGloves wrote:
Until there's more or better evidence it's not possible to say one or the other. The underslung boat theory is dispensed as fact, and it it is that expression of certainty that is at fault, and is disputed. I've been contemplating how different the medical profession is at adopting new positions as new research is published. The archaeology profession, in contrast, seem to surpress the publication of new views and are backward in coming forward. One rock art expert used the same reasoning, to me, for suggesting a feature was natural (undercuts) that I was using to prove it was artificial. My twenty-odd years of moving stone counted for nought compared to his similar time of moving bits of paper with pictures of stone on. That is 'counter-intuitive' (as are the underslung hide boats carrying roughed out bluestones ...

The "archaeology profession " are in no position to supress the publication of new views and when it comes to the new , wild or whacky they are are as likely to be writing it as anyone .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index