Myths, truths and theories - Stonehenge

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Myths, truths and theories - Stonehenge
Sep 05, 2010, 10:34
GLADMAN wrote:
Could this trait have also led them to some insanely extravagant public show of bringing stones all the way from Preseli? It would take a nutter to do something that barmy, I guess.

Yes, that's a good possibility - the bringing of the bluestones, the bringing of the sarsens, the crazy folly-like design of the monument - and of Silbury - all reflecting the insane ego of leaders. Think Saddam Hussein's huge statue of himself.... and then there's Ozymandias!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Sep 05, 2010, 11:34
...the bringing of the bluestones, the bringing of the sarsens, the crazy folly-like design of the monument - and of Silbury - all reflecting the insane ego of leaders.

Of course, if Stonehenge (or a wooden proto-type) were originally on top of Silbury that'd be even more of a crazy folly-like design ;-)

But maybe that's not as farfetched as it might seem. The 'priesthood' at Avebury may have upped camp, or split away, from the existing one and relocated to Stonehenge (that sort of thing happened all the time in Japan, with one capital city after another being moved in order to get away from a too powerful priesthood). The Stonehenge builders may still have had a transmitted memory of a wooden, Stonehenge-like structure on Silbury which was then refashioned in stone at Stonehenge. If there was a split at Avebury (and that's perhaps more likely as a total relocation would have probably involved moving some of the Avebury stones to the new site) the people who left would be hell-bent on proving they could build something better and more durable.

Crazy though, surely they would have known that mortise and tenon joints were not really needed at Stonehenge. Maybe their respect for tradition was such that they didn't want to deviate from what went before. Hell, if they were prepared to drag stony monsters from all over the place a few little mortise and tenon joints on top of them was just icing on the cake (or a bit of showing off).

Anything you can do we can do better... no you can't... yes we can... :-)
Resonox
604 posts

Sep 05, 2010, 11:37
Probably a bit of a spanner in the current ideas' works...but has it ever been established as to ,how much "repair" work Mr. Keiller and his gang carried out on the stones when they were re-erecting them?
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Sep 05, 2010, 12:00
Resonox wrote:
Probably a bit of a spanner in the current ideas' works...but has it ever been established as to ,how much "repair" work Mr. Keiller and his gang carried out on the stones when they were re-erecting them?

Apparently, he had a load of nice blueish stones that he saw on a holiday in the Preselli Mountains brought in to fill some empty post-holes to make it look pretty. ;)

Seriously though, I started to think that maybe the glacier theory wasn't so far fetched as I initially thought. But then you totally lost me with this "folly" stuff! That's some f*@king folly! I can't imagine anyone going to quite so much effort as moving the massive Stonehenge stones an inch without there being a f*@king good reason! :D

Apologies if this has been talked to death already - I've been away so unable to keep up as much as I could normally. I've only read selected few posts to try to catch up.

G x
gjrk
370 posts

Edited Sep 05, 2010, 14:06
Sep 05, 2010, 12:16
Y'know, one thing that struck me when I was there, is how close the basic shape and orientation, of the Avebury Cove (and itself inside another horseshoe?) is to the trilithon horseshoe in Stonehenge.

Stop looking over my shoulder (says Avebury)? On the other hand though, there's no shortage of horseshoes in Brittany sez Burl.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Sep 05, 2010, 13:08
Here's the copper mine (http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/12344/bold_venture.html ). And I should have said the Bosnian Pyramid of the Sun - yes, you can find out about what's happening there - but not from an archaeologist. (Which is a pity considering the substantial remnants that are being excavated).
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 05, 2010, 13:34
StoneGloves wrote:
Here's the copper mine (http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/12344/bold_venture.html ). And I should have said the Bosnian Pyramid of the Sun - yes, you can find out about what's happening there - but not from an archaeologist. (Which is a pity considering the substantial remnants that are being excavated).

Many archaeologists are saddened by what is going on in Bosnia but they can't and don't suppress the info .I doubt there is a professional archaeologist who accepts the pyramid hypothesis anymore than they are likely to accept Osmanagic's , who is not an archaeologist , other ideas like the Mayans being Atlanteans who came from the Pleaides . Because something gets ignored does not mean it is suppressed .
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 05, 2010, 13:52
tiompan wrote:
Because something gets ignored does not mean it is suppressed .

Indeed. Crop circles made by aliens, energy lines, reptiles from the Nth dimension, the Beckhampton Avenue (for a long time) - none of them suppressed in the least, but all of them ignored due to persistent failure to come up with evidence rather than mere chat. Nowt wrong with that - it's the scientific method innit?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 05, 2010, 14:05
nigelswift wrote:
tiompa wrote:
Timber circles may have had "lintels " and considering the reference to wood in the stonehenge architecture this could have been a source of inspiration .

Despite having suggested you can't put percentages on unknowns I reckon it's 99.999% certain there were pre-existing Stonehenge-type timber monuments.
You'd have to be seriously tapped to construct tongue and groove and mortise and tenon joints in massive sarsens without having first learned to create them in wood!

Well for a start they are hardly mortise and tenon joints in the true sense of the joint are they. At best they are stub tenons and very small ones at that. I'm a carpenter/joiner by profession and to create a true mortise and tenon out of stone where the tenon goes right through the adjoining stone using other stones as tools is pushing their skills too far.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 05, 2010, 14:16
But my point is that you wouldn't invest hundreds of hours in producing joints you'd never produced before. It doesn't prove the pre-Stonehenge landscape was covered with round timber structures comprising uprights and rings of lintols but it does suggest it was....

As for pushing their talents too far, each lintol has three or four joints of two different types and is curved in one plane and tapered in the other and fits into the ring pretty well so it's quite a good effort.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index