Myths, truths and theories - Stonehenge

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Re: Myths, truths and theories - Stonehenge
Sep 04, 2010, 18:50
Until there's more or better evidence it's not possible to say one or the other. The underslung boat theory is dispensed as fact, and it it is that expression of certainty that is at fault, and is disputed. I've been contemplating how different the medical profession is at adopting new positions as new research is published. The archaeology profession, in contrast, seem to surpress the publication of new views and are backward in coming forward. One rock art expert used the same reasoning, to me, for suggesting a feature was natural (undercuts) that I was using to prove it was artificial. My twenty-odd years of moving stone counted for nought compared to his similar time of moving bits of paper with pictures of stone on. That is 'counter-intuitive' (as are the underslung hide boats carrying roughed out bluestones ...
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 04, 2010, 18:59
StoneGloves wrote:
Until there's more or better evidence it's not possible to say one or the other. The underslung boat theory is dispensed as fact, and it it is that expression of certainty that is at fault, and is disputed. I've been contemplating how different the medical profession is at adopting new positions as new research is published. The archaeology profession, in contrast, seem to surpress the publication of new views and are backward in coming forward. One rock art expert used the same reasoning, to me, for suggesting a feature was natural (undercuts) that I was using to prove it was artificial. My twenty-odd years of moving stone counted for nought compared to his similar time of moving bits of paper with pictures of stone on. That is 'counter-intuitive' (as are the underslung hide boats carrying roughed out bluestones ...

The "archaeology profession " are in no position to supress the publication of new views and when it comes to the new , wild or whacky they are are as likely to be writing it as anyone .
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Sep 05, 2010, 07:46
Sep 04, 2010, 19:16
The "archaeology profession " are in no position to supress the publication of new views...

Perhaps not so much these days (though with Atkinson in mind they certainly were previously). But are not some in the archaeological profession still not guilty of suppressing the release of information to their own (or their sponsor's/employer's) advantage?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 04, 2010, 19:37
Littlestone wrote:
The "archaeology profession " are in no position to supress the publication of new views...

Perhaps not so much these days (though with Atkinson in mind they certainly were previously). But are not some in the archaeological profession still not guilty of supessing the release of information to their own (or their sponsor's/employer's) advantage?

There is certainly a certain amount of secrecy , "my sites " etc . and tardiness in writing up excavation reports etc . But that is different from actively supressing the ideas of others . For many of us the web is available if you can't get published or pay for vanity publishing , hence the explosion of ideas that would make Von Daniken blush .
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Sep 04, 2010, 19:54
There is certainly a certain amount of secrecy , "my sites " etc . and tardiness in writing up excavation reports etc

Quite. This is a good example of tardiness - http://latersilbury.wordpress.com/ while this (presumably by an 'ordinary' yet interested and well-informed member of the public) is far more informative - http://thehword.wordpress.com/2010/08/31/rethinking-silbury/

Does make you wonder doesn't it...
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 04, 2010, 20:13
Littlestone wrote:
There is certainly a certain amount of secrecy , "my sites " etc . and tardiness in writing up excavation reports etc

Quite. This is a good example of tardiness - http://latersilbury.wordpress.com/ while this (presumably by an 'ordinary' yet interested and well-informed member of the public) is far more informative - http://thehword.wordpress.com/2010/08/31/rethinking-silbury/

Having a blog from a dig is pretty good as far as I'm concerend . We wouldn't have had either of these 10 years ago . My tardinesss was more like the 30 -60 years wait for excavtion reports that were under beds and are now in some shed in an industrial estate . In some respects having a blog or good web based idescription of a dig could damage the likielhood of a finished report e.g. the Dunragit excavataion which provided a good annual web report but as yet no real in depth written report .
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Sep 04, 2010, 20:25
No, there is direct suppression going on. I'll use an extreme example - to provoke discussion. What have you heard about the Pyramid of the Sun recently? (It should be pointed out that this has the potential to turn European archaeology upside down). On a personal note, wouldn't we imagine that the Early Metal Mining Group - probably not their correct name - would trample the door down after a new prehistoric copper mine had been found?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Sep 04, 2010, 20:30
Having a blog from a dig is pretty good as far as I'm concerend .

Sure, but if a member of the public is, with limited (half day?) access, able to present, to the wider community, an overview better than those actually on and organising the dig it does make you wonder why we're paying the latter their wages. The Later Silbury blog states that, "Our aim is to post this blog once or twice a week... To keep your interest, we’ll all take turns to write about and photograph aspects of this fantastic opportunity, so follow us!"

Readers of the Later Silbury blog can make up their own minds as to whether that aim has actually been met.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 04, 2010, 21:09
StoneGloves wrote:
No, there is direct suppression going on. I'll use an extreme example - to provoke discussion. What have you heard about the Pyramid of the Sun recently? (It should be pointed out that this has the potential to turn European archaeology upside down). On a personal note, wouldn't we imagine that the Early Metal Mining Group - probably not their correct name - would trample the door down after a new prehistoric copper mine had been found?

If those who promote the "Pyramid of the Sun " had anything to say and I was interested I could quite easily find find out about it . There is no supression of their of views . Similarly there is nothing to stop anyone suggesting they may have found a "new" prehistoric copper mine and no supression of that suggestion .
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Sep 04, 2010, 22:47
Sep 04, 2010, 21:46
Littlestone wrote:

Cough! I don't have a view on the 'bluestone' theory though it is certainly an interesting debate. As far as the Silbury dig and the 'LaterSilbury' blog is concerned I have to present an alternative viewpoint. I've been a bit busy these past few months so haven't been out to Avebury as often as I used to; last Tuesday, however, I did take a walk over to the portacabins and was one of the 72 members of the public who turned up for the 'tour and talk'. By and large the people there were local; English Heritage had posted notices about the talk in the surrounding villages - I found myself walking along to the dig with two people from Winterbourne Monkton. It was the day after the bank holiday so there were lots of children present with their parents - one boy, aged about 11, asked a very interesting question and received a sensible answer.

The two female archaeologists giving the talk were open and friendly and it was one of them that wrote the blog address down for me as I was leaving - I read it for the first time when I returned home and think its pretty good, as these things go.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index