Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Myths, truths and theories - Stonehenge
Sep 03, 2010, 07:25
Littlestone wrote:
Seem to remember that the Pantheon columns were found to be a couple of foot too short when they got to Rome, and that some of the mortise and tenon joints at Stonehenge are in the wrong place. Same thing with the Hubble telescope and flat pack furniture. Transport the things thousands of miles only to find they don't fit ; -)

Those darn hemp tape measures were to blame they were never reliable in damp weather !!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 03, 2010, 08:01
mountainman wrote:
Hi folks -- first of all, can I explain that I didn't write that Western Mail piece. It claims I said many things that I didn't say -- in fact I spoke on the phone to a journalist, and she "put it into my own words", having actually misunderstood quite a lot......

If you want to know what I DO say, have a look at my two YouTube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wEvLWkTBEc&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f4c3F9iEaY&feature=channel

re glacial deposits on or near Salisbury Plain, there is a discussion and a review of the evidence in "The Bluestone Enigma."

Cheers

Brian

Hi MM,
You say in your YouTube clip that there are 67 stones missing from Stonehenge if what the archo's say about the total numbers are to be believed. If you are correct in what you are saying that no socket holes have been discovered at all for any of these missing stones then of course the structure was never completed in the manner in which we have been led to believe. I didn't realise this and was hoping that others far more knowledgable than myself on Stonehenge were going to comment on this and either back you up or disagree with your findings. Anyone?
mountainman
90 posts

Sep 03, 2010, 08:17
Moss, we weren't meant to know the truth of the matter? I quite like that idea. I have tried not to enter the discussion on WHAT STONEHENGE WAS FOR, but it's appealing to think of it as a puzzle, or an enigma, or a riddle, or even a folly. Maybe the builders themselves didn't know what it was for -- and there was just a powerful ruling clan who wanted to build something wacky as part of its attempt to establish its power base and to try out building techniques? Maybe they were VERY clever and knew that once it was built or partly built, for thousands of years thereafter people would expend vast amounts of energy and brain power trying to work out what the hell was going on...... and in the process invest the builders with spiritual, mathematical, astronomical and organizational skills that they never actually had. Brilliant!
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Sep 03, 2010, 10:58
Yes, but, that was the Romans. That was their style. Stonehenge was made by other people. Out of their heads on something. Maybe bloodlust! And then there was the pyramids - there's some effort there ...
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Sep 03, 2010, 12:37
The present bluestones may have been erected somewhere else, previous to being incorporated into Stonehenge. Most buildings are never completed - to a greater or lesser extent.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Sep 03, 2010, 14:16
Sep 03, 2010, 12:51
StoneGloves wrote:
Yes, but, that was the Romans. That was their style. Stonehenge was made by other people. Out of their heads on something. Maybe bloodlust! And then there was the pyramids - there's some effort there ...

The point I was hoping to make was yes, 'That was the Romans. That was their style', but I'd suggest the Romans had little more at their disposal for moving stuff around than the builders of Stonehenge. Sure, the Romans had better roads, better carriages, ships and maybe more people they could count on, but things were still moved from A to B as they always had been; ie using manpower, animal power and the elements - and that didn't change until the Industrial Revolution. In other words, the Romans were still using the same basic methods of transportation as had been used elsewhere for millennia.

Perhaps it's also a mistake to think that, because Stonehenge predates the Pantheon by a couple of thousand years, the methods of transporting stones to Stonehenge were not as good as Roman methods. The Stonehenge builders knew their material (probably better than the Romans ever did) and they knew how to move it. Anyone who's ever stood by the Diamond, Devil's Chair or Cove stones at Avebury can but marvel that those stony fellas were moved at all, let alone transported for miles and then stood up!

It's an arrogance on our part to think the Bluestones could not have been moved manually from Wales (and I'm not suggesting that is what you are saying Brian) because of course they could have been. I have to say, though, that after a recent visit to the Preseli Mountains myself it brought into sharp focus what an astonishing fete moving stones from there to Stonehenge must have been. As Nigel has said elsewhere, "Not bad for “howling barbarians” Prof Atkinson!" :-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 03, 2010, 16:35
Littlestone wrote:
It's an arrogance on our part to think the Bluestones could not have been moved manually from Wales

Well, there are quite a few howling barbarians that use this forum that pulled the equivalent of three and a half bluestones up a hill not long ago so I'm sure they'll agree with you!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 03, 2010, 17:07
nigelswift wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
It's an arrogance on our part to think the Bluestones could not have been moved manually from Wales

Well, there are quite a few howling barbarians that use this forum that pulled the equivalent of three and a half bluestones up a hill not long ago so I'm sure they'll agree with you!

Yes but did the ancient howling barbarians have the inducement of free beer afterwards Nigel lololol
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Sep 03, 2010, 17:10
Well, just because someone can do something doesn't mean that they will do it. We'll probably never know. One thing from the walls is that the stones used to construct wall on the fell aren't (weren't) quarried - they are glacially deposited. There are piles of stones that 'fell out' of the glacier and these were found by the walling gangs and utilised as construction material. In some places the walls just stop in mid reach and I guess that this is where either the money or the stone ran out.

On another note - the long barrow that I've been calling Toothills had a drystone retaining wall defining the horned forecourt. Crescent moon-shaped patch of land at the broad end of the barrow. The wall was six feet high, at the tallest point, tapering away to nothing, at the low ends. Small bits of flat millstone grit. This has now been badly vandalised and wrecked.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Sep 03, 2010, 17:40
Well, just because someone can do something doesn't mean that they will do it.

I disagree. The individual might not, but a member of their group, eventually, will : -)
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index