Silbury Hill »
Silbury updates
This topic is locked

669 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Re: This isn't a dig; I'm just confused....
Jul 12, 2007, 00:23
Littlestone wrote:
IMO, the notes in the PDF (and my imagination in translating them) don't seem to clarify anything. Which is why I asked. I'm glad I did, because I like your interpretation.

The area surrounding Silbury is frequently flooded, Pilgrim, and that could account for the alluvial band (natural deposit). But if Silbury was in fact designed as an 'island' then a clay covering, as Squid Tempest suggests, would also make perfect sense.

Hi, Littlestone,

Si. I was aware of the flood plain. Dames does like it in his book, and it accounts for a lot of flatness in a natural environment. Trouble is, that (to my mind) why would they make an "island" out of the same stuff that gets dumped there anyway? It's hardly going to make it stand out, is it? I like the idea of an aquatic-biased foundation to this Hill/Mound thingy (it's what we - as erect bipeds - are based on and can't live without, after all).

With regard to the Hill/Mound tag, Mound makes it a bit small. I've done a thesaraus check, and I'll go for "Eminence".....Silbury Eminence!

Peace

Pilgrim

X
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index