Cross Gills Mound

6 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GLADMAN
949 posts

Re: Cross Gills Mound
May 01, 2021, 20:09
CalumMcLennan wrote:
Hi, I'm not entirely sure how this site works, but I'm a local looking into history of the area, and I'm wondering how claims that saddle hill at Cross Gills is artificial even came about, it doesn't really make sense, also I wrote about the history of the cross on the hill here: https://www.facebook.com/hurstgreenandstonyhursthistory

Well, TMA is a community-driven site and - since based upon members' perceptions... predominately formed by walking the landscape, not by academia - is considered a continual 'work in progress. Where the prehistoric precedence of a site is not beyond reasonable doubt the Eds will generally apply a 'Disputed' categorisation until evidence is forthcoming one way or another. Some, obviously, will slip through the net.

On this occasion, I would assume it was the topography, combined with the erection of a cross - a common way of christianising/desecrating an ancient monument back in the day - that led to the assumption by the member concerned.

I have no doubt the Eds will be happy to take your local evidence into account in this instance.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index