Alton Priors »
Circles under churches

Pages: 28 – [ Previous | 122 23 24 25 26 27 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Re: Circles under churches
Aug 14, 2007, 11:17
Hi lilydee - that's all most interesting. One thing that stuck out for me was when you said the church is on a "North-South axis" - actually I'm sure that in itself would be most unusual because most christian churches in this country are aligned East-West, with the altar at the east end? or do you mean the church is just square on to the points of the compass and I am reading too much into it. It's about time I got there myself really.
lilydee05
21 posts

Aug 14, 2007, 12:55
I have to hold my hands up and say I got it the wrong way round! You are right, the newer church is on a EW axis and the bricked up doors (on what I think is the older building) is on a NS axis. I should have realised this as the sun dial at the top of the church was south facing! Big whoops from me!

I'm still having trouble uploading pictures of the carvings - can anyone help me on this as I'd really like to share them with you all.

Dee
moss
moss
2897 posts

Aug 14, 2007, 13:26
Hi Lily dee,
reduce your photos to 750 pixels, then go to the Alton page and upload in photos.... my note from Pevesner on the church below.. Its all very anglo saxon round this area believe they used to be an A/S hanging place up by Adams Grave ;)

Anglo saxon church, shown by the long and short quoin stones at the W end and also, by the narrow tall proportions of the nave. Recent excavation on the north side revealed Saxon pilasters along the nave wall. Foundations of an earlier chancel were also uncovered. Impost moulding also probably A/S. Saxon chancel arch was probably taken down in 1832
Settlement site 1.1/4 miles north from the village, on boundary with Stanton St.Bernard. Probably Iron age, comprises a roughly small circular enclosure with the remains of hut platforms within, in a charter of 905 the site was referred to as eorth byrig.
lilydee05
21 posts

Edited Aug 14, 2007, 18:36
Aug 14, 2007, 18:32
http://www.aboutbritain.com/images/towns/alton-priors-3848.jpg
http://www.aboutbritain.com/images/towns/alton-priors-3849.jpg

Finally I have managed to suss out the image posting! What does this carving mean to you guys? Any suggestions on origins?

Also, check out the off centred arch and the sloping walls, also the small blocked up window to the right of the window on the left - this small window cannot be seen on the external wall.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Circles under churches: Alphamstone
Oct 11, 2008, 16:36
Apologies for resurrecting this old thread again but some peeps may not have seen it first time around and, since the last post over a year ago now, there have been a few new finds of stones under churches which may be of interest. For example the stone under the pew at Alphamstone that ocifant and others have already mentioned now seems to have a twin. I don't know if it's only recently seen the light of day but the stone lies opposite the one that's under the pew. This second stone is embedded in the north side of the west wall - http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/img_fullsize/70874.jpg What's interesting is that both the sarsen under the pew and the one on the north side of the west wall seem to be placed either side of the old west entrance (now blocked) to the church.

See also - http://www.northstoke.blogspot.com/ Tuesday, 7 October 2008 for up-to-date observations on Alphamstone.
Stoneshifter
379 posts

Re: Circles under churches: Alphamstone
Oct 11, 2008, 19:08
One of the two stones astride the doorway may have been carved.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Oct 12, 2008, 11:29
Stoneshifter wrote:
One of the two stones astride the doorway may have been carved.

Wot makes you think that Mr S?
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Oct 12, 2008, 12:33
Re St.Arilda's church at Oldbury on Severn
Oct 12, 2008, 11:52
Not on a circle but a presumed bronze age barrow, and with a long history of occupation on site.... What is fascinating is the dominant feature of the church in the landscape atop a very large mound, a statement of power by the church over paganism...

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/8082/st_arilda_oldburyonsevern.html
Stoneshifter
379 posts

Oct 12, 2008, 12:36
It's the picture with the spider - the stone on the southern side of the door. Clock up the picture, from the front page, and mask the lefthand side of the stone with your left hand, covering the spider. Are there any anthropomorphic associations with what's left?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Oct 12, 2008, 12:56
Stoneshifter wrote:
It's the picture with the spider - the stone on the southern side of the door. Clock up the picture, from the front page, and mask the lefthand side of the stone with your left hand, covering the spider. Are there any anthropomorphic associations with what's left?

Blimey, see what you mean - even more so if you rotate it clockwise into the vertical. It's really hard to see the stone properly (will take a decent torch next time) but the 'curves' did strike me as unusual at the time. Will go back for another ganders. Thanks Mr S.
Pages: 28 – [ Previous | 122 23 24 25 26 27 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index