Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
suave harv
suave harv
704 posts

Re: Red Lion is CLOSED!
Jul 21, 2003, 13:20
The Red Lion is a f***** DUMP!!!

We booked a room Fridayt night, but were told we had to be in by 11.20, as all the doors were locked and alarmed. It was a lovely starry night and Summer Garland and I had bought cheese & wine and everything to party by the stones 'till the early hours.

Needless to say, we didn't stop at the Red Lion. We slept in the van and had a wounderous night under the stars in the inner circle. Saw Mars & the moon and shooting stars and odd amber lights 'till the early hours. Avebury is magical at night! (we took our rubbish home, don't worry).

11.20 curfew! I ask you! That pub deserves to be run by some-one who cares.
And why re-furbish during the two main holiday weeks? Where's the logic there?
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Re: Red Lion is CLOSED!
Jul 21, 2003, 13:42
Here here... me and me other half, knowing no different at the time, had our pagan blessing in the Avenue at Avebury (very small affair just 3 people!) and decided to stay in the Red Lion over night so we could walk the Stones at night... but again locked in at 11.20!!! It was like being in prison!! Would never stay there again..
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

New Inn
Jul 21, 2003, 14:09
They give you a key at the New Inn so you can come and go as you please.
Red Lion is owned by a German bank who want to make their money back on the refurb as soon as possible.
od knows what sort of mess the refurb will make.
They came in with all these plans in May to put a new door here and change that wall to make the bar bigger before being told the building was listed! Duh!
suave harv
suave harv
704 posts

Re: New Inn
Jul 21, 2003, 14:51
We stayed at the New Inn Winterbourne Monkton on Saturday night.
I have stayed there quite a few times over the years, and it's a treat. Own key, nice breakfast, late bar, real ale, and friendly staff.
There are two more b&bs in Avebury itself, according to the cards left in the Post Office. It's nice to stay in the circle overnight, so I'm going to try one of those next time I want to stop in the circle.

When they told me at the Red Lion I had to be 'in' by 11.20, I thought I was on candid camera!!! it would have ruined our evening entirely if we had stopped there. Unbelievable!
Cursuswalker
Cursuswalker
597 posts

Re: Avebury - where to stay???
Jul 21, 2003, 15:25
Is the Lodge the one with a shared living room?

If so it is far better than the Stalag Lion. We stayed there last Winter Sostice, while our friends went to the Lodge.

They got the better deal by far. The curfew is ludicrous!
3 posts

many thanks
Jul 21, 2003, 16:38
Cheers everyone for your suggestions.
Sorry to hear that the red lion was so poor, it should be the ideal place, lets hope the locked door policy changes with the refurb.
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

My Pub
Jul 21, 2003, 16:41
http://www.mlyrics.com/lyrics/83001/Macc_Lads/My_Pub/

I've been going t'same pub fer twenty year,
It were half a crown then fer buy me beer,
But they closed it down fer redecorate,
They said we'll knock a wall down,
Change bar round,
Paint door brown,
It's going to look great.
When I walked into it I couldn't believe me eyes,
Every cunt had a shirt and tie,
Mirrored walls and daft plastic trees,
It were a fun pub disco,
Wine bar bistro,
Gay club puff house,
Cocktail carvary.
So I walked to the bar fer to get me ale,
She said Tetly Bitter's not for sale,
They had fizzy lager with a German name,
I said you've got to be joking,
I started choking, me voice were croaking,
I turned round.
Then a penguin grabbed me fer to throw me out,
He said you've got to dress like a twat end to get in now,
But I've been served in here for twenty years,
Now it's a fun pub disco,
Wine bar bistro,
Gay club puff house,
Cocktail...
Oh what the fuck fuck fuck have they done to me pub,
What the fuck fuck fuck have they done to me pub,
What the fuck fuck fuck have they done to me pub,
Now it's a fun pub disco,
Wine bar bistro,
Gay club puff house,
Cocktail carvery.
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Re: many thanks
Jul 21, 2003, 17:06
It won't. They cannot put another access door in for the accomadation and no way will they give guests a key to the front door!
suave harv
suave harv
704 posts

Red Lion
Jul 21, 2003, 17:33
What a lost buisness opportunity that pub is. As the only pub in the middle of a stone circle, it could be teaming with visitors from all over the world, who would be only too happy to pay top dollar for the pleasure of stopping in a quaint, well run English pub.
An enterprising landlord could organise themed holidays with tours of 'mystical Britian', with coach trips to Glastonbury etc . . they could cater for the croppies during circle season, (there were two coachloads of croppies wilst I was there). Adds in the Fortean Times & internet etc. .
I'm not saying an influx of tourists in Avebury is a good thing, but after noting the foreign interest in Avebury over the years - I can't help but think the Red Lion is a wasted opportunity.
pebblesfromheaven
pebblesfromheaven
853 posts

Re: Red Lion
Jul 21, 2003, 17:50
sad to say, they probably get most of that but without being any good :-(

.o0O0o.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index