Books!

48 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Re: Books!
Oct 28, 2020, 17:27
Tend to have a 'flitty' mind, so several books on the go at once.

Just finished a patchy novel called 'The Reddening' by ex Brummie Adam Nevill. Semi supernatural tale based around a 40 000 year old cave cult in Devon, an archaeological dig of aforementioned habitat, and local drug lords.
TBH, I found to a little dull. I love Adam Nevill's short horror stories, but over a novel, his pacing is all over the place, as is his exposition (you basically had the whole story by about a quarter way through the book). Its free to read on Prime reading if you have amazon prime account.

Shirley Jackson - Dark Tales
Great Short story collection, by legendary mystery writer.

Sussex Horrors - Various
More short horror stories, this time, surprisingly, based in Sussex.

England's Hidden Reverse - David Keenan
Having recommended this to JBLM in soundtracks, not read in a while, so thought I'd dip in again. Always a good reminder of the music and characters involved, and has me reaching for those records not heard in a while.

The British Landscape - Francis Pryor
Lots about prehistory, as you'd expect, less about other eras, though interesting, if written in a 'chatty' style.

Night Terrors (Scare Street) Vol:1 - Various
More short horror stories, though in this instance, not so patchy and quite enjoyable. As you can see, there's a theme here....always enjoyed a good scary tale, but I seen to be 'chowing down' on them much more than I usually do.

Under The Stars (A Journey into night) - Matt Gaw
I've always enjoyed a night hike, the world takes on a different vibe, and this author basically explores the pastime in various UK locations.

21st Century Yokel - Tom Cox
Another fella whose relocated to Devon, and his tales of exploring the county.

Paradise Sky - Joe R Lansdale
Used to enjoy his Hap and Leonard tales, so picked this up. Enjoyable enough romp about the adventures of a black cowboy in the heyday of the wild west. Written in the Lansdale inimitable jokey style. If there was one quibble, Id say it was waaaay overlong.

And finally...

Religion and the Decline of Magic - Keith Thomas
Interesting, if bookish overview of the subject. Though very well researched and full of wtf facts (maybe some of those BBC researchers for various period dramas should have a read...it seems at various times that quite a lot of the peasant/underclass were not church going cap doffers as we're led to believe).
Topic Outline:

The Village Pump Index