46 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2365 posts

Edited Jan 12, 2020, 23:40
Re: Books!
Jan 12, 2020, 23:36
Bloody hell, y'all make my current reading look like the lightweight fluff it is.

Just finished:- Hawkwind - Sonic Assassins
Pretty detailed overview of the band, albums and members up until a few years ago. Easy read with lots of info I wasn't privy to till now, v. enjoyable.

Goshawk Squadron - Derek Robinson
Was an Xmas pressie that I wasn't sure about, but quite enjoyed in the end. Kinda gritty/black humored look at the trials and tribs of a WW1 fighter squadron in France.

Just starting - Follow Me To Ground - Sue Rainsford
Great little 'folk horror' tome about 'non human' healers and their interactions with the local folk. Good stuff.

In the midst of...

Ghostly Winter Tails V4 - Blackheat Editions
Bunch of short stories with an Xmas ghost theme. Hit and miss, mostly hit. No M R James' here, but enjoyable enough tales.

Best American Mystery Stories 2010 - Edited by Lee Child
Not a duffer in the short story collection of various authors. If you like you're Americana dark, this fits the bill wonderfully.

The Desert War - Alan Moorehead
Definitive account of the second world war in Libya and the Middle East by Journo who was embedded in various parts of the British Army during the conflict. Exciting, Terrifying and inciteful. Huge tome and heavy going in parts, but deffo worth plowing through if this stuff is your kinda thang. It is amazing we 'won' this part of the war considering some of the dodgy tactics used and much of the outdated and antiquated equipment used which useless on other 'fronts'. Deffo as much luck as judgement would be my overview of the battles we won.

The Heart Of England - Edward Thomas
Collection of essays published in 1906 on I guess, what the essence of England was at the time. Landscape, wildlife, tradition etc... In terms of wildlife etc, it makes me realise what we've lost, even in my lifetime.

This Dreaming Isle - Dan Coxon (editor)
More short stories in the mystery/fantasy/ghost vein. Some Sci Fi, Some Folk Horror, all with a Brit bent...good mix, enjoying a lot.

The Luxury of Dreams - Mark Automaton
Biog of co-founder of 70's uber DIYers 'Instant Automatons'. Not the best written account of the scene, but interesting enough overview of a band making the most of a shoestring budget. Brought back some nice memories of the scene, and bands in it if yu were there'. He's still at it too, good man!

Still got a book token to cash in from Xmas. What do you think I should get...so far it's a toss up between two David Stubbs titles. 1. Future Days...basically a Krautrock overview or 2. Mars By 1980. An intro/overview of electronic music from early to now? any other suggestions willingly received.
Topic Outline:

The Village Pump Index