Films Again - all new

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9565 posts

Re: Films Again - all new
Oct 11, 2017, 07:05
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
The Damned United. Only took me 8 years to see this one. The 44 days that Brian Clough was in charge of dirty Leeds and of course his rivalry with Don Revie and relationship with his assistant Peter Taylor. Did he really do that interview with Don Revie after having been sacked? Incendiary stuff. Compelling viewing too. Not sure if it translates to those outside footy circles though?

Yes, a good one, though having watched the extra's on the dvd I thought it would have benefitted from including many of those short extra scenes.

The book is worth reading, too.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Oct 11, 2017, 13:31
keith a wrote:
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
The Damned United. Only took me 8 years to see this one. The 44 days that Brian Clough was in charge of dirty Leeds and of course his rivalry with Don Revie and relationship with his assistant Peter Taylor. Did he really do that interview with Don Revie after having been sacked? Incendiary stuff. Compelling viewing too. Not sure if it translates to those outside footy circles though?

Yes, a good one, though having watched the extra's on the dvd I thought it would have benefitted from including many of those short extra scenes.

The book is worth reading, too.

Revie and Clough grew up only a few streets apart in Middlesbrough apparently, though Revie was 6 years older.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Nov 27, 2017, 14:10
Paddington 2. Old fashioned and good natured and feel good. Great cast too

Up there. Interesting concept of people having to prove themself after dying in some kind of bardo setup to get to heaven. But, I think it failed in the main.

The Maze Runner. Teenage Dystopian fare. Quite good actually
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 26, 2017, 20:13
Star Wars - The Last Jedi

Absolutely brilliant. The best since the very first episode blew us away!
1001realapes
1001realapes
2379 posts

Jan 01, 2018, 10:49
Santa Claus (1959)
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jan 01, 2018, 18:33
Went back to see it for a 2nd time this afternoon. Not sure if I've ever done that with a film before. Yes I could pick holes in it and say how I'd have preferred certain bits to go, but in the main it held my attention for the full 2 and a half hours and was a worthy entrant in the Star Wars Canon
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Edited Jan 15, 2018, 20:14
Jan 15, 2018, 20:13
When Marnie was there. Studio Ghibli never fail to deliver. This is from 2014 - don't think they made too many more after that or have I got that wrong? Thought they'd stopped. Always imaginative and moving.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jan 15, 2018, 23:18
Holy Motors. Can't fault it for being 2 dimensional which a lot of films are - really lacking imagination,taking too many things for granted and accepting norms. Yeah really enjoyed it. masks we wear,acting our lives, living and reliving things again and again - them woz the motifs. Tried watching it a few years back and glad I persevered with it this time. I wonder what Leos Carex would make of Goffman's The Presentation of self in everyday life? A real sociological opus. Getting all academic now...
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Jan 16, 2018, 10:12
Not a film but got to say that Fargo 2 was absolutely tip top. Watched the final episode last night and the opening song was fucking War Pigs.
Brilliant script
Great shooting
Kirsten Dunst acting her socks off as a memorable character of an entire cast that are memorable.
Sabbs
The woods
Slab sided 70s American cars
UFOs
Cool assasins
Even a cool butcher!
This series has got the lot...
... except a bigfoot sighting, i wanted a bigfoot sighting :-)
carol27
747 posts

Feb 05, 2018, 19:55
3 billboards outside ebbing missouri...trendy but cracking. I tell you what id underestimated Sam Rockwell.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Village Pump Index