Films Again - all new

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Films Again - all new
Oct 21, 2016, 13:37
Finally got around to watching Bloody kids which I downloaded a couple of months ago. I'd suggested it to somebody who was looking for punk films a few months ago and then it too an age to d/ld.
It's not really punk but does have a lot of punks around in the background.
It's set in a seaside town at the turn of the 80s and folows 2 sociopathic 11 year olds through a few days.
Quite enjoyed it. Though looks like the bit I was remembering from having seen it when it came out didn't go the way I thought it did. I was remembering a double decker bus being tipped by the bunch of youth inside. Doesn't happen quite that way.

Also finally got to see The last Star trek film Beyond which I'd had a really rough copy of before and given up on.
Quite enjoyable I guess.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Oct 21, 2016, 22:32
There's proper copies of Star Trek around now
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Oct 21, 2016, 22:34
Just watched The Shallows, which was actually better than I thought it was going to be and actually towards the end did keep me edging towards the front of the sofa. There were a few moments where it got a bit 'Jawsy' but it didn't ruin it. It's not a fast paced film but quite suspenseful.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Oct 29, 2016, 20:22
Allow me to commend to you La Antena (2007). A modern silent (well, mostly silent anyhow) film from Argentina.

An homage to German expressionist cinema of the 1920's in general, and to the films of Fritz Lang from that period in particular (Dr. Mabuse, Metropolis etc) It also makes much of those elements that film noir draws from German expressionist film.

"Once upon a time, there was a city without a voice. Somebody had taken away the voices of all its inhabitants." ... and now they're coming for their words as well.

A wonderfully stylish and creative film, rather than having inter-titles, any dialogue manifests on screen, and is mobile, often inter-acting with actions in the scene. There's fun with transitional wipes being diegetically motivated and all kinds of expressionistic devices.

Available in full on youtube without subs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXAMzt4iJ7o

or in sections with English subs, albeit in the wrong ratio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpvmfoTALxQ
might be possible to sort that out if you have youtube through your telly.

Anyhow, dip into the full one pretty much anywhere and you'll be bound to see something interesting within a couple of minutes.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Oct 30, 2016, 17:33
Oct 30, 2016, 17:33
Went to see Dr Strange last week and bloody ace it is too. A huge amount of fun and properly eye popping trippiness of the sort Steve Ditko (and others) used to employ on the page when illustrating the magical world of the Sorcerer Supreme.

One of the few films where I wish I'd gone to see the 3D version and indeed I may well do now.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Oct 30, 2016, 19:15
Yes, I think it has been my fav of the apparent 12 that are supposed to inhabit the same marvel universe. Stan Lee reading The Doors of Perception, reinforces your comments about the psychedelic nature of the film. A lot about the film to recommend itself. Mads Mikkelsen makes a good baddie too
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Edited Dec 11, 2016, 18:05
Dec 11, 2016, 18:01
Conspirators of Pleasure by Jan Svankmajer. Plenty to enjoy here, although not as enjoyable as Surviving Life for me.

The Worlds End - My fav of the Edgar Wright 'cornetto trilogy'. A bit of comment on the modern world for good measure too. Just looking him up on IMDB, would love to see the Asylum series from '96.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Dec 16, 2016, 09:36
Dec 16, 2016, 09:32
At last I found a movie on Netflix worth watching. 'Under The Skin'. It's odd as hell. Further research takes you into the original book, which is even odder, and more mysterious.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jan 23, 2017, 19:06
A few to mention in the last few weeks.

Gandhi. Bit of a hero of mine. A bit on the long side but enjoyed it - goes into a reasonable amount of detail.

Requiem for the American Dream. Wow. Gotta watch this again to fully absorb it all. Noam Chomsky railing against developments in modern American Politics, the growing inequality in wealth and how policies seem to be created to protect big business. Watched it with a couple of Graphic Designer friends who quite liked the visual aspect of this documentary too.

Waterbabies. First time I've seen it all the way through. Great fun. Some of the scenes seem to have been imprinted on me, watching them again and remembering them from childhood. I cocherlorum indeed. Like a cross between Oliver Twist and The Wizard of Oz.
vince
vince
1628 posts

Jan 24, 2017, 00:17
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
Waterbabies. First time I've seen it all the way through. Great fun. Some of the scenes seem to have been imprinted on me, watching them again and remembering them from childhood. I cocherlorum indeed. Like a cross between Oliver Twist and The Wizard of Oz.

Charles Kingsley's 'Water Babies' was my favourite book as a nipper. Up there with Dickens imho.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Village Pump Index