Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Re: Films Again - all new
Sep 10, 2016, 23:40
Now You See Me 2.

Less coherent and focused than the first one. Daniel Radcliffe doesn't really work out as a semi-psychotic villain. The chip/card passing scene was somewhat overdone ... on the upside the new girl Lizzy Caplan was good and there were some very nice effects and visual imagery.

The Proud Challenge (1962) Hokori takaki chosen

Wall to wall stylishness and excellence with this slick 1960's Japanese noir. Very cine-literate and playful with it. A tour de force of technique and a great soundtrack to boot.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Sep 11, 2016, 19:08
Trial And Error - Quite a slight gentle comedy about a defendant accused of killing his wife (Richard Attenborough) & his recently appointed barrister (Peter Sellers). Not a lot happens really but the interplay between the two stars is mesmerising, no hamminess on display at all, just craft. Thora Hird is also fantastic as the pre-murdered wife and David Lodge is as David Lodge does.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 13, 2016, 14:00
Saw War Dogs last week. It's a black comedy about a true story of two young American blokes that become dodgy arms dealers to the US military. Slick, fast, sweary and pretty funny whilst being critical of the global arms industry and it's fondness for perpetuating war and conflict for profit.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Sep 13, 2016, 22:31
Shutter Island. I'm a sucker for those mind bending alternate reality films as I have mentioned numerous times. And this is one of the better ones IMO. It still didn't prevent me from having to look up the finer points of the plot on wiki! I am a bear of little brain and never take such things in. Leonardo Di Caprio has been in so many great films
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Sep 13, 2016, 22:39
I didn't like the end of it but otherwise a great film. The Ward was done in a similar vein if you've not seen it, by John Carpenter
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Edited Sep 14, 2016, 13:33
Sep 14, 2016, 13:32
That was the bit I had to look up - the significance of the quote " Is it better to live as a monster or die as a good man". Well I suppose it is open to interpretation. Apparently the book ending is a bit more open ended.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Oct 16, 2016, 12:17
The first of the Nymphomaniac films by Lars von Trier. Not sure what I was expecting really, but it certainly wasn't a film of gratuitous titilation. The way the story is told by Charlotte Ginsberg has some artifice to it IMO, but the actual story is quite intriguing. I will certainly watch the 2nd one
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Oct 18, 2016, 22:57
2nd one duly watched. Shame it had to collapse into itself at the end. I had a sneaking suspicion something of that nature would happen regarding the dynamic between the 2. Some really extreme, yet powerful storytelling stepping outside the confines of 'the norm'. Can't say too much more without spoiling it for the uninitiated.
Kid Calamity
9042 posts

Oct 19, 2016, 15:58
I haven't seen them. i did watch AntiChrist a few years back, though. That kinda turned into an Itchy & Scratchy slapstick skit in the final reel.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Oct 19, 2016, 16:08
Did you rate it? These films were certainly quite graphic but that wasn't a problem. Looked up Lars and found that I had watched a couple other of his films - Melancholia and Dogville. Dogville made an impression and I like his style. You can tell he went to film school! Melancholia less so.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Village Pump Index