Films Again - all new

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Re: Films Again - all new
Aug 21, 2016, 15:49
How very sadistic! You're right about the time loop films though - I'm a sucker for them. Looper, Source Code, Edge of Tomorrow - love em all.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Aug 21, 2016, 15:53
You seen Safety Not Guaranteed? Fun little indie MAYBE time travelling movie about a journo who takes an assignment in some dead-end town ostensibly to cover a guy who claims to have built a time machine but really because he wants to spark a relationship with an old sweetheart. Crazy to think how one movie later the director did the Jurassic Park movie, and is now doing a new Star Wars film. That film was as small-scale and indie as they come.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Aug 21, 2016, 20:01
I quite liked The Draughtsman's Contract, period drama murder story, not seen it for a looooong time though.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 25, 2016, 21:20
Recently saw "Nicholas & Alexendra", a 70's historical epic about the last Tsar and the early days of the Russian Revolution. Not seen it for aeons, and I do like a good historical epic. It stars Michael Jayston and Janet Suzman in the titular roles, both perhaps better known for their small screen and theatrical work rather than films. It also features a pre- Dr Who Tom Baker as a wonderful Rasputin in all his plum voiced and boggle eyed glory. In fact, the film is jam packed with the then cream of Brit thesps from the big hitters like Olivier to the hardy perennials like Harry Andrews. And it features early roles for such future greats as Brian Cox and Ian Holm. Proper, great Sunday afternoon joy.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Aug 25, 2016, 21:46
Not seen that for years, used to have it in a VHS box set, came with Alfred the Great (Michael York) and Cromwell (Richard Harris).
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Aug 25, 2016, 21:50
I've been buying a good few of the Eureka classics, been buying them but only got round to watching Faust, Nosferatu and M so far. Absolutely love the transfer of Nosferatu, still one of the greatest silent films, IMO, and the new recoloured screens and classical soundtrack just give it a fresh breath of dignity after that awful electronic sound they did with it.

I was going to buy Ivan the Terrible (Sergei M. Eisenstein) but looking into it I see it was due to be 3 parts and not sure if I want to invest in watching just two parts of it with it open ended.
vince
vince
1628 posts

Sep 01, 2016, 17:55
Watched 'Youth' a couple of nights back - Michael Caine, Paul Dano, Harvey Keitel, Rachel Weisz, Jane Fonda & a curious cameo from an clearly unwell & desperately overweight Diago Maradona.

Rather enjoyed it, even if it is der rigeur to make these "testament to old age" movies these days.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Sep 02, 2016, 12:53
Caught the doc Finders Keepers last night. It's sort of like Kramer VS Kramer if, instead of fighting a custody battle over a kid, it was over a severed leg. Really good!
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Sep 03, 2016, 22:55
Ditched Red 2 and Your Highness in favour of Harry Hill the movie this evening. Didn't mind the first Red movie but couldn't be bothered to sit through more of the same. Your Highness was a bit rubbish. I'd forgotten I'd tried watching it before and given up.

As for Harry Hill, I remembered at the time that it got really poor reviews that put me off. However, those that enjoy HH's unique brand of humour and general universe will get something out of this film too. Brilliantly daft. The only thing that I didn't enjoy was Simon Bird who seemed a bit out of his depth here. He is a great talent, but not in this.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Sep 04, 2016, 15:55
Sep 04, 2016, 15:54
Got round to seeing "Kingsman - The Secret Service" last night. Brilliant - a lot of fun and a total blast. And it features one of the most sublime sequences of cartoonesque violence and carnage ever, made all the more joyous in that it's mostly Colin Firth at the centre of it.

Also recently saw "Locke" which is about 2 hours of just Tom Hardy driving down motorways at night, having conversations with various family members and work colleagues on a handsfree mobile phone set in his car, in a faltering Welsh accent. It is actually more beguiling and engaging than it sounds, as the titular character's life slowly unravels with each passing phone call. I'd file under 'interesting' rather than 'amazing'.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Village Pump Index