Re: Films Again - all new
Aug 20, 2018, 21:29
The Rover
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Oct 14, 2018, 19:11
Venom. It just goes to prove the old proviso, never listen to mark kermode unless he's right. Which he wasn't. This time. Really enjoyed it and will look forward to future films. Granted it did start off a little slow and the chemistry between tom hardy and michelle williams seemed to be absent to begin with.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Apr 04, 2021, 11:56
Quite some time ago, the subject of films featuring 'strange bedfellows' came up. I've recently come across a couple more:

The Outrage (1964) - Rashomon, transplanted to the Old West. I found it a little odd to see Edward G. Robinson appearing onscreen with William Shatner.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-nmpEaAYNWA/TDElLUtWIJI/AAAAAAAADH8/rmM9g72k8tY/s1600/TO3.jpg
Paul Newman is badly miscast as a Mexican and Claire Bloom (who plays Hera in Clash of the Titans) struggles to maintain a Southern Belle accent. The only really good thing about this version is the cinematography of James Wong Howe.

Three Cases of Murder (1955) - A trilogy of fantastic stories involving murder and the supernatural, the last of which stars Orson Welles. While they don't appear on screen together, the stories are all introduced by Eamonn Andrews.
Kwoo
59 posts

Edited Apr 07, 2021, 13:27
Apr 07, 2021, 13:25
A friend and I are doing film swaps. I just got loads of great stuff.

Last night saw Switchblade Sisters, uber trashy and punk. Whatever aspects were bugging me early on, it totally won me over. And I mean, it's about a gang of knifey girls. What's not to love?

This New Zealand movie Squeeze (1980). It's a queer film with a soundtrack by some local punks. Really good.

Night of The Demon. A good MR James adaptation, in spite of its goofy monster.

And speaking of Goofy Monsters: Rawhead Rex! Screenplay by Clive Barker. Begins with a knocking of a neolithic stone in Ireland. Big meathead beast is unleashed. Really dumb. Would recommend.

And also, PBT, an Orson Welles I saw lately and liked a lot was Return To Glenascaul. An eerie old ghost tale in which Orson Welles plays himself, picks up a hitchhiker and has a haunted aul time. A neat half hour.

Yeah.. It's been a real high-brow time at the covenstead!

*I didn't watch these all in one night, though that would be some marathon
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Re: Orson Welles
Apr 17, 2021, 09:55
I've not watched that one in a long time. I do very much enjoy the work of Mr Welles. I've listened to a lot of his old time radio shows too, he has an amazing voice and was quite the consummate storyteller.

Have you seen the reconstituted/restored version of his Don Quixote? I also highly recommend F For Fake and Mr Arkadin/Confidential Report, from among his perhaps less well known works.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2379 posts

Apr 26, 2021, 19:53
It Follows

Under the Silver Lake
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Village Pump Index