Unsung Forum »
OGWT

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
wychburyman
951 posts

OGWT
Feb 25, 2018, 19:34
Well as a white 50 something male I suppose its my demographic but I thoroughly enjoyed the old grey whistle test special on Friday. Some great clips that took me back and some interesting discussions as well. Its what BBC 4 was made for and that has been sadly lacking in recent times. Much better than jools Holland's celebrity love in.
wychburyman
951 posts

PS
Feb 26, 2018, 08:04
What are people's memories of the OGWT?

I remember the Police playing and feeling who the hell are these guys. I also remember ZZ Top coming on and blowing my mind. Loved Steel Pulse's appearance as well
Kid Calamity
9043 posts

Edited Feb 26, 2018, 10:52
Re: PS
Feb 26, 2018, 09:22
I have one of the final Whistle Tests on VHS video. It was a kinda round up of the last series, I seem to remember. It featured the Waitresses doing 'I Know What Boys Like', Klaus Nomi and... this... utter classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn73Wtem0No
Davey_B
Davey_B
408 posts

Feb 26, 2018, 13:40
I thought it was a missed opportunity. I was hoping to see lots of full songs from the old OGWT shows. Things you don't see on those BBC4 programmes about guitar heroes, or rock at the BBC etc that they show on Friday nights. Instead we got some rather dull performances (Gary Numan being the exception) and lots of very short clips that just made we want to see the full songs and was then very disappointed when instead we got to see Bob Harris talking to a pissed Dave Stewart.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2606 posts

Edited Feb 26, 2018, 17:31
Feb 26, 2018, 17:30
Mostly good memories, particularly of the Bob Harris years. New York Dolls doing 'Jet Boy', Brinsleys doing 'Surrender To The Rhythm, National Health doing 'Collapso', Feelgoods doing 'Rozette', Beefheart doing 'Upon The My O My', Rory G doing 'Walk On Hot Coals', Van the Man being a git in interview, Lennon being class in his, Otway & Barrett, Bruford, Sassafras, Kevin Ayers, Elton doing 'Tiny Dancer'... the list is endless.

I also used to dig the old films they'd use as visuals to album tracks. Somehow or other they seemed made for each other. Remember 'Trampled Underfoot'?

I went off the show quite a bit when Hepworth and Ellen took over as presenters. They had a smarminess about them that really got on my thrupennies at the time, though I later came to respect them both as writers. Bob was the man, and Annie N was ok.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Feb 27, 2018, 02:11
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Mostly good memories, particularly of the Bob Harris years. New York Dolls doing 'Jet Boy', Brinsleys doing 'Surrender To The Rhythm, National Health doing 'Collapso', Feelgoods doing 'Rozette', Beefheart doing 'Upon The My O My', Rory G doing 'Walk On Hot Coals', Van the Man being a git in interview, Lennon being class in his, Otway & Barrett, Bruford, Sassafras, Kevin Ayers, Elton doing 'Tiny Dancer'... the list is endless.

I also used to dig the old films they'd use as visuals to album tracks. Somehow or other they seemed made for each other. Remember 'Trampled Underfoot'?

I went off the show quite a bit when Hepworth and Ellen took over as presenters. They had a smarminess about them that really got on my thrupennies at the time, though I later came to respect them both as writers. Bob was the man, and Annie N was ok.

That absolutely sums it up for me, and much more eloquently put than anything I would have written!
spencer
spencer
3067 posts

Feb 27, 2018, 10:51
A nod's due to Richard Williams too
wychburyman
951 posts

Feb 27, 2018, 11:11
wychburyman wrote:
What are people's memories of the OGWT?

I remember the Police playing and feeling who the hell are these guys. I also remember ZZ Top coming on and blowing my mind. Loved Steel Pulse's appearance as well

And Bob's teeth ain't half changed!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Edited Feb 27, 2018, 12:24
Re: OGWT
Feb 27, 2018, 12:23
Caught up with it last night, enjoyed it for the most part, and mirroring other folks views, was a nice diversion down memory lane. I came to it in the 80's, so paricularly enjoyed Bauhaus on the show as I recall. Also remember those mammoth New Years eve programmes where it was on for several hours, usually with The Doors live concert thrown in somewhere.
I'd love it if BBC 4 did the TOTP rerun thing with OGWT, the archive would put modern 'live' music on tele to shame. Ditto those 'In Concert' performances (where you could tune in on the VHF/FM radio to get the full stereo experience if you were so inclined).
spencer
spencer
3067 posts

Edited Feb 27, 2018, 14:01
Re: OGWT
Feb 27, 2018, 13:59
Spirit's Rockpalast performance and their appearance around the time of Potatoland, ZZ Top, Ry Cooder doing Vigilante Man, Skynyrd doing Freebird, Alex Harvey, John Martyn echoplexing and Neil Young and Crazy Horse blasting Like a Hurricane at Hammy Odeon when I was sitting near the cameraman
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index