14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 December 2017 CE
Dec 24, 2017, 23:23
thesweetcheat wrote:
Mostly had The Cure - Seventeen Seconds on repeat. Still my favourite Cure album, it sits nicely with the grey monochrome weather this week, as well as soundtracking the annual re-read of The Dark Is Rising.

Wow that is quite uncanny sweetcheat. Throughout my teenage years The Cure were the band I was obsessed with and we read The DIR in English at Secondary School and I absolutely loved it. Read the other books in the series as a consequence and got well into the mythology of it all - that whole Arthurian/Pagan vibe. I wonder if it is a coincidence that one of my fav TV series (Robin of Sherwood) had Herne the Hunter in it too.

Do you re-read the whole series or just that title? I think I'm right in saying that the series are the only books I have actually re-read! Such a shame they completely killed the film adaptation with its hollywood styled treatment. It would make a really great set of films if done right.

I was reading Seaward this year too. Not really as good, but worth a quick read.

Going back to 17 seconds, I bet it must have been quite influential in the post rock movement. My fav ever version of A Forest is on the live video 'Show'. This also reminds me that I really should get around to getting Faith on CD. I used to have the cassette which had 'Carnage Visors' on Side 2.

Sweet memories...

Unsung Forum Index