Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 1 July 2017 CE

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 1 July 2017 CE
Jul 02, 2017, 21:01
Aldous Harding - S/T. From 2015 I think. Me likey.

Phantom Band - Checkmate Savage. Gotta be one of the best albums from the last 10 or so years. Awesome.

Nadja - Radiance of Shadows

Graham Nash - Songs for Beginners. Not a fan by any means of this...

David Crosby - If only I could remember my name

Phantogram - Eyelid Movies
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Jul 02, 2017, 23:08
machineryelf wrote:
Film of the week Captain Fantastic Viggo Mortensen, George Mackay comedy drama , absolutely gorgeous film, about a bunch of under the radar alt lifestyle kids, I laughed , I cried , I cried some more and laughed again

Loved that film muchly, it's really very bloody good.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jul 02, 2017, 23:12
Circle – Terminal. This is great fun, gonzoid prog metal riffage, like a space rock NWOBHM. Vocals a little krazeee in places, but it’s all carried off with much aplomb: https://soundcloud.com/southern-lord-records/sets/circle-terminal

EMA – Exile In The Outer Ring. This, on the other hand, is definitely not fun, like mainstream American 80s rock put through the electro/industrial grinder and turned into a nightmare. On first listen, it seems a bit lacking in stand-out tunes, but she’s certainly committed to her vision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTeqvdiLwmI

BardSpec – Hydrogen

The Focus Group – Stop-Motion Happening

Jane Weaver – Modern Kosmology

Clear Blue Sky – s/t. Debut album from early Vertigo never-weres inevitably eclipsed by Sabbath. It’s rough and ready blues rock of a progressive bent, its raw enthusiasm just about cancelling out its lack of finesse, though in fairness, the band were all just 18 when they recorded it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i_8wZjDEbA

Lynn Castle – Rose Colored Corner. Apparently this is the lady who used to cut everybody’s hair in 60s LA or something. Mainly demoes of an unrecorded album, but she did put out one single, which is a great slice of gritty psych pop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U6_1dfpItU

Listen With Father:

John Barry – Themeology. The oldest wanted something a bit more ‘orchestral’, and this was my response. This is a fantastic comp from 20 years ago, the downside of which being that it came out slap bang in the middle of the New Lad revival, and has some excruciating sleeve notes from Jonathan ‘Wossy’ Ross. Still, crawling through Archway to The Persuaders and The Ipcress File themes made the school run an infinitely cooler experience.

L is for…

Labradford – Prazision. Another charity shop cheapie from years ago, their first album I think, from a time when guitar-based drone music still felt pretty radical. Some great sounds, very Eno-esque in places, but let down by extraneous vocals (which I think they eventually ditched?) which give it a mopey vibe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhkgRw2p7bA

Leaf Hound – Growers Of Mushroom. One of the albums that kick-started the archival fascination with obscure 70s rock, certainly in this household, and I’m guessing in plenty of others too. ‘Freelance Fiend’ remains the stand-out with that awesome riff, but there’s a lot of other good stuff on here, even if it does often sound like a direct splice of early Zep and Free, the singer in particular being the lovechild of Plant and Rodgers. It is surprising they weren’t bigger on the evidence herein, but maybe naming the album after the one rather dated psych track on the album didn’t help, ditto the dreadful sleeve where the band are depicted as the world’s most belligerent pixies in a field of toadstools… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8bGgtU1bwA
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jul 02, 2017, 23:19
Thoughts on the new Jane Weaver album? Being hearing good things.
spencer
spencer
3065 posts

Edited Jul 03, 2017, 00:14
Jul 02, 2017, 23:49
Frank Zappa - Hammersmith '78
Frank Zappa - Chicago '78

YouTube

David Bowie - Live In Berlin 2002 ... PP HH EE NN OO MM EE NN AA LL

David Bowie - Live At Hammersmith Riverside ... almost as good

Eight hours of fabness
machineryelf
3679 posts

Jul 03, 2017, 09:02
mingtp wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
Film of the week Captain Fantastic Viggo Mortensen, George Mackay comedy drama , absolutely gorgeous film, about a bunch of under the radar alt lifestyle kids, I laughed , I cried , I cried some more and laughed again

Loved that film muchly, it's really very bloody good.

certainly is, Adult Life Skills last night [gotta get my moneys worth] wasn't bad, slightly confusing about who was who other than the lead [sister,brother, love interest,took about half the film to work out the snorkel guy wasn't the flat letting guy, or maybe he was the same person], but the little lad was great, well worth a punt.Alice Lowe [Prevenge] has a bit part, have you seen Black Mountain Poets , low budget completely English uncomfortable comedy, I loved it.
machineryelf
3679 posts

Jul 03, 2017, 09:12
Leaf Hound are probably as famous for being the band left behind after Kossoff & Kirke left for Free & Rod Price for Foghat, plus the original issue vinyl being the most valuable LP ever , personally I think it's OK, a bit ploddy, much the same way as Clear Blue Sky, both would have been condemned to being second on the bill and losing their best members to bigger bands for evermore if they hadn't packed it all in. The wiki says Leaf Hound were a major influence on the Stoner rock genre which I suspect Sabbath & Blue Cheer might have something to say about
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Jul 03, 2017, 10:30
thesweetcheat wrote:

It's good and certainly worth buying, but not as good as The Fallen By Watchbird which I think is still her best.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jul 03, 2017, 17:28
mingtp wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

It's good and certainly worth buying, but not as good as The Fallen By Watchbird which I think is still her best.

Lovely, ta :)
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jul 03, 2017, 20:58
machineryelf wrote:
Leaf Hound are probably as famous for being the band left behind after Kossoff & Kirke left for Free & Rod Price for Foghat, plus the original issue vinyl being the most valuable LP ever , personally I think it's OK, a bit ploddy, much the same way as Clear Blue Sky, both would have been condemned to being second on the bill and losing their best members to bigger bands for evermore if they hadn't packed it all in. The wiki says Leaf Hound were a major influence on the Stoner rock genre which I suspect Sabbath & Blue Cheer might have something to say about

All fair points. As I said, they kind of became a poster band for the blog-driven 70s revival thing in the early 00s, but as with many of the albums unearthed, it's not quite as amazing as various people made out.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index