Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What's the best, most excitingest thing you've heard recently?

Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Edited Jun 04, 2015, 19:04
What's the best, most excitingest thing you've heard recently?
Jun 04, 2015, 19:02
Am on first listen with Francesca Belmonte's Anima album, and I would have to say it is this. I think it is produced by Tricky (at least it sounds like it is, and is on his label, and she has been heavily involved with his recent stuff), and sounds like the best production he has been involved with for about 20 years. The songs are all short with great vocals and trip hop production, or hip hop blues as it was referred to by... someone writing her Spotify biography. I can't recommend it enough for early Tricky fans. Actually I probably can, that'll do. It's good though.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: What's the best, most excitingest thing you've heard recently?
Jun 04, 2015, 21:51
Gnod - Infinity Machines. Remarkable triple album that grows and grows. Full of interesting dichotomies - the sax is a huge sound on it, yet doesn't appear in the main central part of the record; it's ambient but heavy; it's prog yet with a Crass ethic etc etc. I've seen some good reviews but they still full short of what I seem to get out of it. The most creative thing I've heard recently.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Edited Jun 04, 2015, 23:19
Jun 04, 2015, 23:17
I have a system (you've got to have a system) where I star albums that sound intriguing for whatever reason (highly touted on these pages for instance) in my spotify account. That's like the pending pile. Then when I listen to it I either save it to my music or not and wipe out the starred version. Then somewhere down the line it gets turned into a CD. It is my vetting system. Anyway, this is a roundabout way of saying that Infinity Machines is already saved and has passed the test after being recommended on these pages a month or two back (probably by you amongst others), and will be turned into a CD soonish.

Looking at my latest additions of saved music, the following have been roadtested after hearing about them in HH land in the last few months:

New Order - Technique
Can - The Lost Tapes
Pharoah Overlord - The Battle of the Axehammer (live)
Gnod - Infinity Machines
Young Fathers - White Men are Black Men too
Follakzoid - III
Taman Shud - Viper smoke
Bauhaus - The Sky's Gone Out
Melanie De Biasio - No Deal

I've been using Unsung for similar purposes for 12 years and 5 months, here's to another 12 years and 3 months*. Please be upstanding in raising your glasses and toasting the longevity and health of HH. To HH, cheers.

*only an approximation
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jun 04, 2015, 23:19
Post of the Week :)
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

Jun 05, 2015, 00:07
Ar. My ears have been tickled most recently by: Beyond Saturn, the V/A Mojo freebie. Much to investigate further......and before that, Zappa's Halloween in the Big Apple, Chrome's Feel It Like A Scientist, Kapt Kopter's KPFK Radio LA 13 Sept 1972 and, very belatedly, Spirit's Two Sides Of A Rainbow.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jun 05, 2015, 01:09
Jun 05, 2015, 01:08
I've really enjoyed Subliminal's "Animi" album 'cos I found it as £2 promo and have been joyously battered by its insane poly-rhythms and precision brutality. I do love a bit of tech/djent metal, but this is often beserk!
It's been a thing for me to delight in, in a jagged way.

At the other end of the spectrum, finally, properly hearing Roy Harper's "Stormcock" album, and being the gate opener that it is, that has made me happy.

Live, I must add the delightful Foxtales from Manchester last week. 4 girls and a bloke drummer doing close harmony, dark folk and countryish tunes with a splintered edge. Seeing 'em tomorrow night too!

Also, the new Darkness album has brought me joy and happiness.
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Jun 05, 2015, 03:16
Encenathrak, an übber-avant death project by Mick Barr, Weasel Walter and Collin Marston.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Jun 05, 2015, 07:13
The second Lonelady album, Hinterland. She passed me by on her first one back in 2010. I really like the sound (very 1981-82), propulsive guitar and crisp beats. Not to mention the lyrical themes. Right up my street.

Also the third Grasscut album, Everyone Was A Bird. They've added extra pastoral lushness to their sound, which has always been an evocation of a landscape full of soaring birds and creeper-covered ruins. Suggest lead single "Curlews" as an entry point.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Jun 05, 2015, 07:15
Funny you mentioning Bauhaus, the Lonelady album has a bit of a "Terror Couple Kill Colonel" sparseness to its sound.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Jun 05, 2015, 12:03
Jun 05, 2015, 11:58
A 'for those that know' release on unfoundsound from March that I only discovered today trawling blogs.

http://bassandspace.com/2015/03/30/ghini-b-endlessly-walking-unfound84/

CC Free download.

It's electro really, and it gives me a serious nostalgia glow. Puts me in my mind of early Irdial releases, those times when this kind of dance music was underground and young. When the edges of the scene embraced it's freedom and experimented, and Chicago House grooves could be heard played on and through the most unlikeliest of kits and production styles. Harks back to the pretemplate, subscribed and proscribed, genre sounds.

Yes, it has claves though, lovely, lovely claves. All the more beautiful for their sparing use.
Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index