Register
Unsung Forum »
Revolutionary Suicide

159 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: Revolutionary Suicide (coming, coming..)
May 28, 2013, 22:09
Well for what it's worth here's my view. I wasn't too impressed on first listen but it arrived the day I was heading to Paris on an overnight coach trip and I pretty much listened to it non-stop - in sections first e.g. Disc 1, or the second half of Disc 2... I'd drift in and out of sleep... returning to the album at different points. And I've come to the following conclusions:

1) It's an album of Cope's poetry set to music, a clue being the booklet poems listed on the back alongside the tracks. The Armenian Genocide is almost prose - but made more rhythmic and poetic by repetition of certain phrases...but the music is seemingly subservient to the words. The whole of Disc 1 is understated, pastoral, repetitious... but that is it's strength in combination with the lyrics.

2) Following on from the point above, the album is pretty experimental all round e.g. the pastoral, poetic Disc 1... or the Disc 2 tracks 'They were all on hard drugs' or 'Destroy religion'. It is not a casual listen, as Cope wrote of Haare in one of my favourite Copendium reviews. Again, one of it's strengths.

3) Is Cope one of the best players of mellotron around? There are lovely understated touches in places, especially disc 1, but then used to the fore on 'In His Cups'. Is there a more beautiful and uplifting Cope track than this both lyrically and musically?

And I'll leave it at that for now.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index