108 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3679 posts

Re: Desert Island Discs?
Jun 18, 2011, 13:16
IanB wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
If you're interest in Zep boots this is a good list, covers the best shows and interesting others
http://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=18827

glad to see the Japan 71 boots getting some love, non of them are soundboards but they still sound great and Zep play their socks off, recommended

edit plus they are all easily findable on the net, and despite certain protestations I'm not going to lose sleep over d/l'ing bootlegs

That's a great list for reference. I don't have any Japanese shows. What do you recommend in particular?

Memorial Auditorium Buffalo 26 07 73, Mobile Municipal Auditorium 13 05 73 and Three Days Later - San Diego Sports Arena 28 05 73 are all big favourites of mine. Then again HOtH is my favourite record of theirs so that skews my feelings about the various shows I have heard before and after the 1975 peak.

The San Diego show has a recent version of top quality sound, I like 3 Days After LA Forum 73, the LA Forum 75 run is absolutely fantastic, I'm also very keen on the 77 shows, probably becuase I had The Destroyer on vinyl for many years and so they have a nostalgia value as well
The japanese shows are Tokyo 23 sept 71, probably the best soundwise, Osaka 28th, a better show but sound is A-, and Osaka 29th, again not quite there soundwise, this is the one with Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, the Tokyo 24th show is the other one I have but it's not up to the standard of the other 3, the japan '72 shows are good but in '71 they seem to be rally enjoying themselves
Another fave again not top quality sound but the Zep having a good time more than makes up for it is the Alexandra Palace 22 Dec 1972 show
If you like the 73 shows have you heard the Southampton gig, recently unearthed and brilliant sounding, also Vienna & Munich 73 get the big thumbs up from me
Right I'm off to find the Buffalo 73 show
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index