Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 29, 2010, 09:35
Re: The Monkees ?
Oct 29, 2010, 09:29
Sin Agog wrote:
I'm not sure I'm gonna just sit back and nod along to comments about how current music is getting worse and worse.

Today's kids have better taste than ever. I bet children are weirding their muso parents out the world over with their internet-schooling. Everytime I'm playing something like Caetano Veloso at the shop I work at, some kid comes up to the counter knowing exactly what it is. No way in hell would that have happened ten years ago. And most of the crowd at gigs I've seen recently like Throbbing Gristle and Daniel Johnston have been around sixteen/seventeen.

A lot of this is true. The clued in kids are more clued in than ever. They also have the attention spans of gnats. They have one week enthusiasms. You know the kind of thing - download 20 Sun Ra albums listen to nothing else for a few days and then move on Fela or Hendrix or something. And I think you are observing the make-up of minority audiences at minority shows. Meanwhile 30 Seconds To Mars and suchlike are selling out the O2.

Pop is not in bad shape but for me the mainstream of Rock is worse than it has ever been in my active listening lifetime (essentially 71 to date) and a lot of new UK acts that get the second-coming treatment from NME and Kerrang are not much edgier than McFly when they are doing their charming Cheap Trick / Rubinoos Power Pop thing. It's that whole tuneful, sunnyside-up variation on EMO. And I thought Linkin Park were bad! No wonder the smarter kids are looking to the fringes of old school outsider rock for their thrills but they are a minority. The days when my now 19 year old daughter was obsessed with Placebo seem like a golden era now and her kid sister has to wade through some serious crap to get to anything good. The likes of Muse are so bland it just makes me chortle that they are considered to have edge.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index