Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 25 July 2010 CE

33 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1053 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 25 July 2010 CE
Jul 25, 2010, 10:09
The Coral - Singles Collection (as a Coral fan since the start I only recently picked this up and found it doesn't really do them justice. Leaving out their two most angular singles - 'The Oldest Path' & 'Skeleton Key' - it ends up emphasising their softer side. Also, a singles collection should always be sequenced chronologically. Disc 2 features some surprisingly strong out-takes, however).

Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die (I think everything has been said about this incredible album lately)

The Beach Boys - Shut Down Vol.2 (Even by early Beach Boys standards there is a lot of filler on this, but it is still one of my favourites. The comedy 'studio verite' track is skippable and Dennis's concluding drum solo none-too-impressive, but Mike Love's rudimentary honking on the saxophone spices up the very enjoyable instrumental title track as well as the obligatory but suitably dumb run-through of 'Louie Louie'. And the classics are of the highest order: 'Fun Fun Fun', 'Don't Worry Baby', 'Why Do Fools Fall In Love')

The Beach Boys - Concert (The highlight of this is the truly thrilling gallop through Dick Dale's 'Let's Go Trippin'', complete with audience participation at the start)

The Millennium - Begin (One of the greatest of all Sunshine Pop albums, kicking off with harpsichord and breakbeats, going into the sublime 'To Claudia On Thursday' and taking in mental Hugh Masakella trumpet improvisations on the stinging 'The Know-It-All' before concluding with a tribal nose-thumbing to the record label. Curt Boettcher's finest work)

Mr Fox - Mr Fox (Bob & Caroline Pegg are among the great Unsung folk duos, traditional but often dark and hypnotic, somewhere between Shirley & Dolly and Comus)

Shirley & Dolly Collins - Anthems In Eden (speaking of whom - this is a Harvest Records classic)

Kraftwerk - Ralf & Florian (an oft-overlooked gem. I'd love to know which of them played the stuttering drum rhythms on the opening track)

Gheorghe Zamfir et Marcel Cellier - Improvisations Pour Flute de Pan et Orgue (not normally a sucker for panpipes, but Picnic At Hanging Rock is one of my favourite films and some of the music is on this original vinyl LP)

Madness - The Rise & Fall (the 'Nutty Boys' at their reflective best)

Groundhogs - Who Will Save The World? The Mighty Groundhogs (my first Groundhogs purchase, mainly due to the great Marvel Comics style gatefold sleeve, but on first listen I was instantly hooked. I may have to explore some more)

Argent - Hold Your Head Up (surprised how much I enjoyed the title song when Rod performed it at one of the Zombies' Odessey & Oracle shows. Seeing Argent today at High Voltage, so this vinyl purchase was a must for a quid)

Hawkwind - Quark Strangeness & Charm (as a latecomer to Hawkwind I was unaware they'd taken this new wave-ish direction and I love it)

Fairport Convention - Full House (tend to overlook this first post-Sandy LP, but it has some fine stuff on it)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index