most Psychedelic record?

Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

most Psychedelic record?
Jan 24, 2010, 11:10
After reading Sea Cat talking about looking for the Motherlode of psychedelic music on his lunchbox thread, I thought I'd ask what individuals here thought was the most psychedelic record they'd heard was.

I'm assuming that these will have changed with experience and that there are a changing array of unsung readers, cos I think something similar was asked some years back. Wouldn't think there was a fixed 'most psychedelic' anyway, since I'd assume it was subjective within some kind of range.

I'm interested in those that fall outside of the more obvious too, since I think I've probably got most of those having been buying in the area for years.

not sure what I'd go for myself & don't want to influence other contributions overly.
Stevo
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Jan 24, 2010, 11:57
Re: most Psychedelic record?
Jan 24, 2010, 11:22
God, that's a hard if not impossible question. Do you mean individual albums, or complete works etc? How about single tracks as well. The problem is some of the most psychedelic sounds are well known for that very reason, i.e. Tomorrow Never Knows, which can induce flashbacks in people who've never even had a psychedelic experience!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Jan 24, 2010, 11:35
Jan 24, 2010, 11:34
Trying to think outside the mainstream for psychedelic, not necessarily the 'most' but less obvoious : Holts's Neptune The Mysic, Saint Saen's Danse Macabre, Stravinsky's Firebird Suite, anything by Ravi Shankar or late Coltrane or Alice C /Pharoah Sanders. I'm trying to approach this from the point of view of psychedelic meaning altered state of consciousness without necessarily a direct LSD reference.
I'll give it more thought.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 11:43
steveo, you are crazy
but here's the one that jumps out at me when you ask yr question = "sun pandaemonium" by florian hecker
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 11:50
I remember hearing the theme tune to Picture Book on Freak Zone a while back. That was pretty trippy as a child. As was Telstar. These thing would take me out of time and place at a very young age!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Jan 24, 2010, 11:58
Jan 24, 2010, 11:57
I give up, Stevo. I really do. When I think of all the components of a truly great psychedelic record, I keep coming back to the obvious. Tomorrow Never Knows. It's got the lot and never fails to blow me way each time I hear it. So that's got to be my desert island test = vote.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 12:52
Awwww now, that's kind of like asking me to pick the cheesiest cheese or the most velvety Velvet Underground track. Obvious ones to me are 'See Emily Play' by Pink Floyd, '2000 Light Years from Home' by The Stones and Jefferson Airplane's 'White Rabbit'. I'm pruposely going for less obscure tracks because the better known stuff possibly affected more people, spreading the psychedelic vibe far and wide. Also these were probably the first psychedelic tracks I heard as a kid, and they blew my mind wide open making me want to explore further...
MC
638 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 12:58
Same, White Rabbit was one of the first psychedelic tracks I heard.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Jan 24, 2010, 13:40
Jan 24, 2010, 13:38
funny, with that track I think I prefer the earlier live version by the Great Society in terms of trippiness. & find other bits of the airplane more psychedelic, most of Baxters for instance.
but possibly that's just taste?
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

Jan 24, 2010, 13:44
The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, no contest. Admittedly I am biased, having heard the album for the first time whilst in the middle of my first psilocybin experience....
Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index