53 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Jan 24, 2010, 03:17
Re: Arena Eno Documentary.
Jan 24, 2010, 03:12
I really enjoyed the programme about Eno. I enjoyed the now reknowned Arena treatment of the subject, with intercut references to the intense interests his family members held. I liked particularly the way how Eno speaks about his approach to work, embracing 'complexity from simplicity', game theory, making chance and taking chance etc, which he certainly has popularised, or brought it to the attention of ordinary folk from urban backgrounds. Of his work that was illustrated I found his collaborations with David Byrne as interesting as his work with U2 and Coldplay dull and boring. The moment I enjoyed most was his description of battling with the ego's present in a band - he described how a non guitarist could make a sound with the guitar that the guitarist couldn't replicate, and his job was diplomacy to make the personalities understand the possibilities of his (I believe) oblique strategies. This reminded me of the inspired direction Miles Davis gave to guitarist John Mclaughlin. He wanted the guitarist to play like he didn't know how to play the guitar. Just a single direction like that creates great possibilities. It was disappointing that working with Fripp was left out of the programme.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index