53 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: Arena Eno Documentary.
Jan 17, 2010, 11:48
dave clarkson wrote:
There's mini Eno's a third of his age (or maybe a quarter his age) around the globe who are probably keyed into the latest technology and are developing ways (whether planned or by accident - but more often by accident) to take music onto the next level.

I liked it a few years ago when he said something like- 'Now, with certain software, you can just hold down a key for twenty minutes and you've got a fully fledged ambient track'

Eventhough he took the whole 2 Revox/Tape-Loops with jam-jar techniques a stage further from an original idea by the likes of Terry Riley, I love the fact that Eno is being celebrated on TV at last.
In 1974, via interviews in the music weeklies, he explained different techniques and hammered home the point that a 'non-musician' could make music.
This alone was seen as absolute heresy at the time, especially amongst the muso hordes.

I agree he hasn't done anything to equal his recorded work in the 70s, but there again, I like the fact that he's produced a lot of 'mainstream artists' since then- after all, he's just looking out for himself, he must have the future of his own grandkids to think about, whether he has produced any 'mini-Enos' himself, we'll have to wait and see!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index