109 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
suave harv
suave harv
704 posts

Re: Black Sheep @ the Bristol Festival
Sep 23, 2009, 19:58
kiddrahcir wrote:
sorry i know you've finished this discussion but... does mr suarve consider birdsong music. just a thought.

can you right it down, does it follow all his rules? or are all those bloomin left field blackbirds and thrushes decieving us?

It's musical. In the way that you can describe something pretty sounding as musical. Like the expression 'musical laughter' . . but it's not what I'd term music. Not as I understand music.

That's not to say I don't find it a nice sound, just like many sounds in nature, but I don't feel we should be calling every pretty sound 'music'. Just like we shouldn't call a pretty sunset a 'work of art'.

As for 'rules', I thought I made it clear that the factors that make music 'music' are not rules, they are tools that define what music is. I didn't make them up, It's what it is. And no, I don't go to gigs with a clipboard ticking 'em off before you ask.

But we're arguing over terminology here, and if you've got a dictionary that defines music as 'a sequence of sounds pleasing or harmonious' then you could say birdsong is music. My point is 'sonic collage' (or what I've heard of it) has little or no musical worth, in the way that I percieve and understand music.

I'm repeating myself, I'm getting boring (or even more boring). .but I'll try to be more open minded about this stuff. This thread has at least taught me that people are very serious about what they do, and not everyone is a poseur who indulges in this stuff. Perhaps I'll listen differently next time.

I hope I haven't insulted anyone directly and we can share a beer at the next Cope gig.

Where does songs.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index