Listen 2 The Doors???

104 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Listen 2 The Doors???
Apr 22, 2008, 13:40
Stevo wrote:

I think the 2 lps most readily dismissed have some really great playing on too. Waiting For The Sun which was a mopping up of material from several points but I think recorded around the same time & Soft Parade which has the added horns and strings. But the band sound pretty good.
I like the harpsichord etc on Soft Parade. it was the first of the recent reissues that I actually went out to buy. Waiting For The Sun turned up in a sale so I grabbed it.
Stevo
Np Magma Poitiers 74 MDK

Indeed - neither of those LPs are disasters, just curate's eggs. I remember reading an interview with John Densmore in which he claimed all the horns and string arrangements on "The Soft Parade" were an attempt on the Doors' part to emulate the sound of Love's "Forever Changes". Sadly though, with a few exceptions like "Touch Me" and "Wishful Sinful" I don't think the Doors quite had the songwriting skills to pull it off.

Hearing Morrison's poetry recited in spoken word form doesn't make it sound the best either, as one listen to "Amerrican Prayer" will testify.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index