104 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9570 posts

Re: Listen 2 The Doors???
Apr 20, 2008, 20:36
Tekpop wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
I think that Oliver Stone move damaged their cred quite a bit - since then it's become more hip to slate them than to like them. I don't think that half-assed re-union with Ian Astbury helped either.

The Doors revival was already in full bloom by the time Stone jumped on the bandwagon. The person who is most responsible for kicking it off was Danny Sugarman when he wrote 'No One Here Gets Out Alive'. It seemed like every American high school student owned a copy of that book at one time. Of course, that book dealt with the sensationalized side of Jim Morrison and the music was almost an after-thought. Before all that, Jim was just another dead 60's rock star but the book made him into a larger than life figure - the Lizard King, the man, the myth and the legend! The Doors were again in vogue and people like Sugarman and Ray Manzarak saw dollar signs. Manzarak in particular, has milked the myth of Morrison for all its worth.

Not sure I *totally* agree with that, Tekpop. NHGOA wasn't published till 1980 (maybe '81 over here), by which time The Doors were extremely hip (in the UK at least) and JM was more than 'just another dead 60's rock star.'

Sure the book added to the myth, but I agree with PV - the movie meant that suddenly The Doors were everywhere, and that overkill maybe as much as the film (which I like, for my sins!) definitely damaged their cred, and this hasn't recovered to date.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index