Unsung Forum »
R.I.P. Syd

120 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: R.I.P. Syd
Jul 23, 2006, 16:15
A belated RIP from me too - I've been away and had no 'puter access but I heard of Syd's passing just before we left.

Compared to many HHer's I guess I must be a relatively recent convert to Syd's music but as soon as I got 'Madcap..." and "Barrett" it was clear to me what everyone was going on about. The strength of the songs combined with the fragility of the delivery is almost unique in rock - that and that wonderful strain of English pastoral acid tinged folk that permeates - Syd was a true minstrel of those out of the corner of your eye moments of otherwordlyness, where a cup of tea is a whimsical ritual and dancing on the whitelines in the middle of the road in a sodium glare is a little celebration. People talk of Syd's fragility and while there's no doubt of it in relation to the world we are asked to live in, I feel it takes a special kind of strength to see beyond and illustrate a singular vision with such beautiful style and fractured elegance. Syd may have been fragile, but never weak.

Last Monday, whilst suitably altered, me chums and meself gazed on a magenta sun setting behind mountains on a beach and cracked open a tinny each as we watched the waves lap onto the sand and slowly erode our three letters in the sand "SYD"

Hope he's in a better place
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index