Register
Unsung Forum »
Gouge

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9043 posts

Gouge
Mar 01, 2006, 11:49
I saw this band at the Bull & Gate, North London in the mid 90s. The did an EP the main of which is called 'Get Odd'. Lovely Punky Pop!

Vox: Jayne Thomas
Guitars: Tim Box
Bass/Vox: Marika Gauci
Andy Zammit: Drums

Anyone heard of them? Or more to the point - know what happened to them?

'Get Odd' has just been added to the forthcoming 'Kid Calamity Cuts Vol. IV', btw.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Re: Gouge
Mar 01, 2006, 14:22
No idea KC ... but a quick search did reveal that there's also a 7" single entitled 'If I was A Man' ... nothing else apart from that though so it doesn't look like it was an especially long or prolific career.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Mar 01, 2006, 14:44
They were welsh and mates with the Street Preachers if memory serves.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Mar 01, 2006, 15:06
Google does bring up an NME article from a few years back on the disappearance of Ritchie that includes a quote from Jayne Thomas as a friend of his ...
Kid Calamity
9043 posts

Mar 01, 2006, 15:31
Thanks for looking guys. I was just curious as I remember them as being pretty good. And it is a good little EP.
luvinurwark
1 posts

Dec 06, 2008, 08:36
Hey, I was mates with them. They got signed by EMI in L.A. for a six album deal........they toured in the states, played with Jesus Lizard, Courtney Love etc and while recording their first album all fell out with each other and split up!! What a shame....Jayne used to be A&R for EMI, Marika is a DJ and club night promoter in London, Tim is in another band called What Jesus Drove Next and Andy owns his own record label....Jayne is now a music editor for a national magazine....hope that helps!
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Dec 06, 2008, 13:40
To totally go off on a tangent, I'm reminded of Pere ubu's initial aspirations to put out the kind of singles you find in charity shops years later and get knocked out by/introduced into the artist's little world. Seems like that kind of single was happening at the time Gouge put theirs out, though the lack of such items was probably being bewailed at the time. Wonder if they still are appearing or if the media has changed to such an extent that they're not being produced.
You're not going to find an out of date MYspace page while rummaging through the singles boxes in a charity shop after all. Probably just going to find all such things being deleted from the net and taking their (own & possible) histories with them.
Stevo
Np Melvins live '90 dvd
mpr
1 posts

Jul 31, 2017, 22:34
fwiw i worked on the music video for Get Odd (well, held a light or two) and the director has recently-ish uploaded it to youtube.

i really loved their sound and got their EP soon after in HMV and their tracks still make it to my playlists today!

video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSjQN0AV5J4

the director Michael Dominic made this under the Spidercom prod co which is the same co Guy Ritchie directed music vids at.

wow what a nostalgia trip for me :)
Unsung Forum Index