Unsung Forum »
Your 10 favorite Post-Punk Groups ever

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9565 posts

Re: Your 10 favorite Post-Punk Groups ever
Dec 31, 2004, 12:31
I like the first re-formed Bunnymen album. The single Nothing Lasts... was great. And it's not as if everything the first time round was brilliant, is it ; )

But ATT Trees. Yikes! Don't know their records I have toadmit, Vince, but I saw them support the Cure in 1981 and they were laughable JD copyists. (Actually, there's another of my least fave live acts in your list - Comsat Angels, saw 'em support the Banshees the same year, and thought they were awful.)

Liked the rest of your list tho, though it's easy to forget that Simple Minds were good once upon a time.

PS Bought the Independence Day 12" single recently for a quid as although I wasn't wild about I figured it was that to hear it again and re-consider! Just got my turntable up and running again so will give it a whirl shortly.

Cheers.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Wayne Hussey
Dec 31, 2004, 15:12
I really don't like Sisters Of Mercy or that kind of cartoon goth, but I arguably consider Hussey an excellent guitarist. Once he left SOM they were total crap... Besides Hussey played in early Dead Or Alive and also played in Pauline Murray and the Invisible Girls. And he had that unique style that defined Goth music ever since...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Dec 31, 2004, 15:20
Actually I've only heard the two tracks that came out on 4AD records and one or two others where they backed Lydia Lunch (who is from my town...) Wouldn't mind hearing their other records (and I've heard they were quite prolific...) In fact I'm curious about alot of the Scandenavian early-punk I've heard tons of stories about...

Oh yeah, "Marble Station" is totally beautiful -- almost like taking the elements of Television and stretching it out until it's like nothing on earth...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Dec 31, 2004, 15:25
Play Dead were awful! Totaly forgot they existed and just as well...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Dec 31, 2004, 15:38
And Also The Trees -- actually liked their first album but was disappointed by their stuff afterwards although I don't know what they're like now. The Scars "Horrorshow" sounded very New Yawk for a British group...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: No particular order: mmmn
Dec 31, 2004, 15:43
Oh yeah! Wasted Youth. Not to be confused w/ L.A.'s Wasted Youth of course... The Brit post-punk WY was good what little I've heard from them so far -- I think I still have the "Wildlife" 7" somewhere...
direwolf
92 posts

Dec 31, 2004, 17:23
1. The Cramps (not sure if they count as "post-punk" but they're top of my list anyway!!)
2. PiL
3. Devo
4. Birthday Party
5. Bauhaus (mostly because of the awesome "Rose Garden Funeral of Sores")
6. Cabaret Voltaire
7. Electric Bananas (probably not heard of outside of Canada)
8. Talking Heads
9.Joy Division
10. Art Bears

As for "worst of"... there were lots of bands that were shit, but none more-so than U2!! Who coincidently still subject the world to their crap to this day!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Dec 31, 2004, 23:00
Don't forget . . .

Joy Division (duh)
The Virgin Prunes
B-52's (1st LP is a classic)
Von LMO
The Feelies (mk 1)
Au Pairs

Do Bad Brains & Minor Threat count? Right era anyway.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Dec 31, 2004, 23:01
. . . and The Clean from New Zealand too.

Probably a bunch of aussie bands we're forgetting . . .
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Jan 01, 2005, 00:39
The Saints?
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index