tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jun 04, 2017, 17:33
Re: Thank you to London police
Jun 04, 2017, 17:27
thesweetcheat wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
Hear hear both of you - and I'm speaking as someone who's lived in London for 28 years, commutes across the city to work daily and could easily have died in the 7/7 bombing if I'd had to start at 9am that day.

Despite the fact that I agree with the sweetcheat's points, I also have no problem with the fact that the police shot those who were responsible. It had to be done and it was done. Seeking a solution that doesn't involve military interventions in, or selling arms to, other countries whilst also maintaining law and order are not in contradiction with other, and there's nothing to be gained from pretending that they are.

I agree, it had to be done to stop any further loss of life or injury to those they attacked. That's exactly what armed police are trained for and should be supported in. Like I said, the police should be properly funded, not cut to the bone with the army used as inappropriate stand-ins.

I also agree with Ethericat that hate speech/preaching should be called out for what it is and condemned. That goes for whoever is doing it, or whatever flavour it comes in.

Here I go again, more 'leftist clap-trap' - this time from the Guardian. The link doesn't seem to work so I've copied the whole article. By Jessica Elgot
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/31/sensitive-uk-terror-funding-inquiry-findings-may-never-be-published-saudi-arabia

An investigation into the foreign funding and support of jihadi groups that was authorised by David Cameron may never be published, the Home Office has admitted.
The inquiry into revenue streams for extremist groups operating in the UK was commissioned by the former prime minister and is thought to focus on Saudi Arabia, which has repeatedly been highlighted by European leaders as a funding source for Islamist jihadis.
The investigation was launched as part of a deal with the Liberal Democrats in exchange for the party supporting the extension of British airstrikes against Islamic State into Syria in December 2015.
Tom Brake, the Lib Dem foreign affairs spokesman, has written to the prime minister asking her to confirm that the investigation will not be shelved.
The Observer reported in January last year that the Home Office’s extremism analysis unit had been directed by Downing Street to investigate overseas funding of extremist groups in the UK, with findings to be shown to Theresa May, then home secretary, and Cameron.
However, 18 months later, the Home Office confirmed the report had not yet been completed and said it would not necessarily be published, calling the contents “very sensitive”.
A decision would be taken “after the election by the next government” about the future of the investigation, a Home Office spokesman said.
In his letter to May, Brake wrote: “As home secretary at the time, your department was one of those leading on the report. Eighteen months later, and following two horrific terrorist attacks by British-born citizens, that report still remains incomplete and unpublished.
“It is no secret that Saudi Arabia in particular provides funding to hundreds of mosques in the UK, espousing a very hardline Wahhabist interpretation of Islam. It is often in these institutions that British extremism takes root.”
The contents of the report may prove politically as well as legally sensitive. Saudi Arabia, which has been a funding source for fundamentalist Islamist preachers and mosques, was visited by May earlier this year.
Last December, a leaked report from Germany’s federal intelligence service accused several Gulf groups of funding religious schools and radical Salafist preachers in mosques, calling it “a long-term strategy of influence”.
The Lib Dem leader, Tim Farron, said he felt the government had not held up its side of the bargain made ahead of the vote on airstrikes. The report must be published when it was completed, he insisted, despite the Home Office caution that information in the document would be sensitive.
“That short-sighted approach needs to change. It is critical that these extreme, hardline views are confronted head on, and that those who fund them are called out publicly,” he said.
“If the Conservatives are serious about stopping terrorism on our shores, they must stop stalling and reopen investigation into foreign funding of violent extremism in the UK.”

Theresa May is shaping up to be the biggest hypocrite to be PM yet.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index