U-Know! Forum »
Another Election

Pages: 37 – [ Previous | 127 28 29 30 31 32 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: and this, about slogans in politics
May 11, 2017, 10:33
I hadn't noticed but "Strong and stable" and "coalition of chaos" are both alliterative, indicating just how calculated the whole thing is. How about "unfair and uncaring"...
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Hunting Act
May 11, 2017, 11:24
nigelswift wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
we have to make sure were not "unfair" to Theresa

As to that, we can be sure the reality of the new enabling Act will be slightly disguised, with mention of provisions to prevent "abuses", that's how the Tories (and to be fair, all parties) operate. But the bitter truth is that it's the 21st Century, this is an advanced Western society, and she's going to enable intelligent wild mammals to be torn limb from limb for fun.

TMA/U-Know is supposed to be a broad church with all views considered valid, yet I find it pretty distasteful to be in a forum which contains a recommendation that we should stop jumping the gun on the subject. Jeez, Theresa May and the hunting lobby are grabbing the chance to act like fucking barbarians. Extending them the courtesy of saying we should "wait and see" is grotesque and unworthy of this place.

IMHO.

You twist it so well - one of your specialities I've noticed. Does you proud and impresses the converted. Haaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaa
Locodogz
Locodogz
254 posts

May 11, 2017, 12:28
Seriously? Is that the best you can come back with?
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 11, 2017, 12:44
Indeed it is. Abuse and nervous laughter is all that's left if you're pro May and anti hunting.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Re: something by Noam Chomsky
May 11, 2017, 17:04
Gotta love Noam. Great when someone of that stature takes an involvement.

Have you seen Requiem for the American Dream? Essential viewing
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

May 11, 2017, 18:53
Mark Steel spot on as usual:

"Nothing says you’re grasping the digital age and leaving the past behind as much as dressing in a red tunic and galloping over a fence with beagles so you can catch a fox and celebrate its liver being ripped out by smearing its blood on your child’s cheek. That’s the sort of futuristic vision you’d get from a brainstorming session at Apple."
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/labour-leaked-manifesto-1970s-stuck-tories-fox-hunting-jeremy-corbyn-theresa-may-a7730941.html?amp
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited May 11, 2017, 20:26
May 11, 2017, 19:37
thesweetcheat wrote:
Mark Steel spot on as usual:

"Nothing says you’re grasping the digital age and leaving the past behind as much as dressing in a red tunic and galloping over a fence with beagles so you can catch a fox and celebrate its liver being ripped out by smearing its blood on your child’s cheek. That’s the sort of futuristic vision you’d get from a brainstorming session at Apple."
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/labour-leaked-manifesto-1970s-stuck-tories-fox-hunting-jeremy-corbyn-theresa-may-a7730941.html?amp

Love it! Thanks for that tsc, must send it to my London based son who is 'not sure' about the Tories.

This bit "Then they want to bring back the railways into public ownership. At the moment, when we’re stuck outside Bristol Temple Meads for three hours due to a signal failure, at least we can comfort ourselves in the knowledge the bloke who owns this service is worth £80bn"... is not an exaggeration. This happened to me on way back from Stroud a couple of weekends ago. Signal failure at Didcot caused chaos for several hours - we actually did spend three hours sitting on a non-moving train, stuck at Kemble.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Re: Railways
May 11, 2017, 20:49
I had an exchange with someone yesterday who maintained that BR was rubbish and that privatised rail services were much better. I asked for a source, first I got "google it" then something about knowledge he has got from his love of railways (not sure how I was going to Google that, but whatever). Anyway, it prompted me to dig this out, which contains a lot of data about how efficient BR had got by the 90s, when Major sold it off:
http://turniprail.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/no-steven-norris-in-1990s-british-rail.html?m=1
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Craig Murray - Journalists as State Functionaries
May 12, 2017, 06:43
https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2017/05/journalists-state-functionaries/
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Re: something by Noam Chomsky
May 12, 2017, 15:44
Ooh thank you, will do.
Pages: 37 – [ Previous | 127 28 29 30 31 32 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index