U-Know! Forum »
Duterte update

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Duterte update
Mar 30, 2017, 16:05
Been awhile since I took the time to look into this case...
and I do care about the situation in the Philippines too.
I spent a substantial amount of time there as a very young man and still look back on that country and it's peoples with fondness.

Some of duterte's quotes:

"Hitler massacred three million Jews. Now, there are three million drug addicts. I’d be happy to slaughter them. If Germany had Hitler, the Philippines would have (me). ”
? Rodrigo Duterte, September 30, 2016

“I will kill you, I will kill you. I will take the law into my own hands… forget about the laws of men, forget about the laws of international law whatever.” ”
? Rodrigo Duterte, August 17, 2016

"My order is shoot to kill you. I don’t care about human rights, you better believe me. ”
? Rodrigo Duterte, August 6, 2016

Latest from the "Human Rights" Organization{March 1 2017}:

https://www.hrw.org/report/2017/03/01/license-kill/philippine-police-killings-dutertes-war-drugs

As of January 2017, a tally of over 7000 dead in this 'campaign'.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/01/24/deadly-milestone-philippines-abusive-drug-war
phallus dei
583 posts

Edited Apr 01, 2017, 16:53
Re: Duterte update
Apr 01, 2017, 16:52
It's impossible to understand Duterte without first addressing the issues that propelled him to power - the highest homicide rate in Asia, rampant corruption, and a loss of national pride due to more than a century of American colonialism / neo-colonialism. One can of course debate whether Duterte's "strong man" approach is appropriate in such a situation, but it's misleading to assume that the country was substantially better before he took over. One should also question why, out of all the tyrannical third world leaders, Duterte has suddenly become the "flavor of the month" for the Western press to vilify.

Andre Vltchek, one of my favorite journalists, wrote a good piece on Duterte back in December 2016, after spending time in Manila. I recommend it to those who want to get a more nuanced view of this figure.
http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/12/23/president-duterte-of-the-philippines-for-dummies/
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Apr 02, 2017, 02:26
Give it a fucking rest man.
Not interested in your marxist bullshit.
As a professed American, you can only possibly inhabit the same dark/lonesome crevice that bred lee Harvey Oswald.
You see, this is something that i would know about, having actually lived long enough in 7 states to have had a drivers licence there....you simply don't exist among-st the populace except as dark lurking figure with no one to discuss anything you believe in that wouldn't tell you to take your 'ideology' and fuck-off with it. Your the less than 1% wherever your gonna' hang your hat.
No-Fucking-thanks.
Not interested.
Please stop shitting up every thread that you post in.
phallus dei
583 posts

Apr 02, 2017, 02:46
dhajjieboy wrote:
Give it a fucking rest man.
Not interested in your marxist bullshit.
As a professed American, you can only possibly inhabit the same dark/lonesome crevice that bred lee Harvey Oswald.
You see, this is something that i would know about, having actually lived long enough in 7 states to have had a drivers licence there....you simply don't exist among-st the populace except as dark lurking figure with no one to discuss anything you believe in that wouldn't tell you to take your 'ideology' and fuck-off with it. Your the less than 1% wherever your gonna' hang your hat.
No-Fucking-thanks.
Not interested.
Please stop shitting up every thread that you post in.

Oh, I thought this thread was about Duterte and the Philippines. I posted an article by a Czech writer who went to the Philippines and interviewed a bunch of people there, and who placed Duterte's rise within its broader historical context. I assumed that such a post would be entirely appropriate for a thread entitled "Duterte update." I didn't realize that this thread was simply your personal vanity project, started for the purpose of insulting anyone who doesn't agree with your views.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Apr 02, 2017, 02:58
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/u_know/topic/75947/threaded/950365
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 02, 2017, 08:18
Excuse me, I think you need to explain your statement "One can of course debate whether Duterte's "strong man" approach is appropriate in such a situation" and a recommendation that people should seek a more "nuanced" view.

Would you say that about Hitler?
phallus dei
583 posts

Apr 02, 2017, 14:25
nigelswift wrote:
Excuse me, I think you need to explain your statement "One can of course debate whether Duterte's "strong man" approach is appropriate in such a situation" and a recommendation that people should seek a more "nuanced" view.

Would you say that about Hitler?

As I mentioned, and as the article also explains, the Philippines weren't in a good situation before Duterte took over. It had a skyrocketing crime rate propelled by drug gangs, and substantial parts of the government were corrupt and in on the take. It also had a loss of national dignity, becoming most "famous" on the world stage as a site for sex tourism and human trafficking. In such a dire situation, one can of course debate which approach is the "best" one to take. Apparently, Duterte's "tough on crime" rhetoric appeared persuasive to the Philippine people that voted, and he at present enjoys considerable support in his country. Being lucky enough to live in an area that is not wracked by drug crime and neo-colonialism, I'm not going to condemn the Philippine people for the choice that they made. Rather, I find it more fruitful to understand why Duterte and his message of "Fuck the West!" currently finds such resonance in that area.

Just because Duterte made a comparison (in my view, an ill-advised one), between himself and Hitler, doesn't mean that the two are actually comparable. He's not invading other countries, he's not outlawing other political parties, he's not going after people based on race, etc. The figure of 7,000 dead that the Western media attributes to his policies is also questionable, in that those numbers include those killed in gang-on-gang violence. Objectively speaking, Duterte is no more brutal than many other Third World leaders. Why then is Duterte targeted in the Western media for vilification? The most plausible explanation, to my eyes, is that he goes against Western interests.

The dominant media we get in the West is biased to reflect the policies of our government and their corporate backers. The article that I posted earlier is biased, too - it reflects the aspirations of people so eager to free themselves from Western domination that they view Duterte through rose-colored glasses. But between these opposing views, lies a more nuanced - and therefore more true - understanding of the world.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 02, 2017, 14:35
But the Germans also "weren't in a good situation" before Hitler took over and Germany had suffered "a loss of national dignity" and Hitler enjoyed "considerable support". But I don't see that that leads to a need to take a "nuanced" view of what he did. What does that mean? An understanding and slightly tolerant one? Contextualising their crimes is what despots and serial killers seek to do and I'm not sure there's any case whatsoever for the rest of us to do the same.
phallus dei
583 posts

Apr 02, 2017, 15:41
nigelswift wrote:
But the Germans also "weren't in a good situation" before Hitler took over and Germany had suffered "a loss of national dignity" and Hitler enjoyed "considerable support". But I don't see that that leads to a need to take a "nuanced" view of what he did. What does that mean? An understanding and slightly tolerant one? Contextualising their crimes is what despots and serial killers seek to do and I'm not sure there's any case whatsoever for the rest of us to do the same.

I don't see the usefulness in trying to stretch the Hitler / Duterte comparison. Just because Duterte stupidly compared himself to Hitler doesn't mean that he is in a position to become Hitler, or that the Philippines are set to become the next Nazi Germany.

At a certain level of abstract analysis, one may be able to find parallels between the Weimar republic and the Philippines, though again, it would seem to me that there are more differences than similarities. Germany had long considered itself to be part of the dominant Western "civilization," and its sudden loss from that position after WWI was an immense psychological blow. The Philippines, on the other hand, have suffered under American (and before that, Spanish) domination for centuries. I think a better comparison would be to draw parallels between Duterte and Latin American leaders such as Morales and Chavez, or perhaps with Iran's Ahmadinejad.

In any case, there is a huge book industry about explaining Hitler's rise to power, just as there is a sub-field that documents the lives of serial killers, etc. People, generally, want to understand things, and why certain events happened. Understanding and acceptance are not the same. To understand the current situation in the Philippines requires more than knowing a few choice Duterte quotes and the number of people that died in his drug war. As to whether or not Duterte's approach is what's needed for the Philippines, I will humbly defer to the people living in the country in question. Given the Western media's past support for blatant wars of aggression, I will not automatically buy into their depictions of Duterte as the current manifestation of "evil."
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Apr 02, 2017, 18:57
I'm assuming you will enjoy this. https://twitter.com/DMReporter/status/848103847943954432

See, he wasn't all bad, he liked children and animals you know.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index