13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Feb 09, 2017, 23:42
Re: Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail in '72 - Hunter
Feb 09, 2017, 15:28
The aspect of Obama and Clinton you don't like is their centrist side, the part which became more right-wing in order to get into power and mollify their opponents. It's that right-wing/centrist side which fires off those drones, or implemented the three strikes policy after Dukakis got crucified for being soft on crime. What we've done is thrown away the other part of them, that which offered compassion to the poor and hard done by, and instead gone full-on right, forgetting that it was the right-wing elements of the previous administration which caused the most harm. Now a government with actual Neo-Nazis in office, whose loathing of Muslims isn't veiled in the slightest, is supposedly better off for Muslims? A government full of maverick, asset-stripping businessmen will supposedly make America better for those below the poverty line? Sanders didn't want to split votes, put simply. I still don't see how lurching even further to the right, into self-interest and activating thousands of Muslim terrorists who'd never have even touched a gun were it not for being constantly told by the American government that that's what they're born for, is the humane solution. Because you know that's exactly what will happen, and what the masters of war want to happen: terrorists going from an extreme minority with a great media hyperbole machine behind them, into an actual threat to be reckoned with. That's what we'll see in Trump's administration. He didn't implement that ban, and continue all of Obama's campaigns in the middle east, just to make friends. While I think it's important to remind people of the dangers of centrism, as you're doing, I refuse to become sucked into your scorched earth brand of change. I suspect you're in that honeymoon period a lot of voters find themselves in when a new leader is elected. The slate has been cleared. A new sheriff is in town. Like in all the previous instances, you'll be disabused of your optimism very, very soon.

U-Know! Forum Index