U-Know! Forum »
Hey, guess what

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
carol27
747 posts

Hey, guess what
Oct 06, 2016, 17:16
They're going ahead with fracking in the NW. Blackpool being one of the most impoverished areas of GB. Despite Lancashire CC, holding 2 separate inquiries & rejecting it; they must have given the wrong answer. Wonder why they don't do it round Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire etc? Next stop North East, Scotland.... funny ain't it?
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Re: Hey, guess what
Oct 06, 2016, 18:26
Well of course they are, it's not like local people democratically voted to stop it or anything... oh, wait!

There's a lot of meetings going on here in Wales, where it's not even remotely supported by most of the Assembly. Sadly we've got a few ukip elements in now who will do anything just to piss everyone else off, which includes supporting fracking.
carol27
747 posts

Oct 06, 2016, 19:14
Well Captain, I despair. Democracy, what democracy? Everything's ok, as long as it's not on their doorstep. A bit naive of me probably but sometimes I feel the distance between our " governors" & us so keenly. The injustice, the bullshit, the unfairness, the madness. Better shut up. I wanna riot & then I go back to work to pay a crappy mortgage. Pathetic.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Oct 06, 2016, 20:00
So much for May's claptrap about listening to the voice of ordinary people. I came across this on FB just now ...

https://www.facebook.com/events/1402161039812947/

IMPORTANT - it is now CONFIRMED: this event will be on SATURDAY 8TH OCTOBER as Sajid Javid, Secretary of State for Communities & Local Government, OVERRULED our local democratic assertion to stay frack free:

The residents and groups in Lancashire have met and asked that as many as who can - come to Preston New Road - Maple Farm forecourt (next to World of Water Blackpool. and one field from the proposed fracking site at PNR). Please come. If you can't get here to show non-violent solidarity, then please if you can, with members of your group, your family or even just yourself - please post a photo or message of solidarity with the residents of Lancashire as they stand to defend our communities. If you could include: #DontFrackLancs #WeSaidNo - it will help us gather this all together for press releases and sense of support, many thanks ?

What we will do on the day, at the event... will be absolutely non-violent but direct action in the sense that we will gather, not on the road but perhaps moving along the verges and if needed, crossing the road will be aided by Nana-Lollypop Ladies ;) Our presence passes the landowner as well as the proposed site, it will ensure the local community knows they are not alone and that we WILL support them.
carol27
747 posts

Oct 06, 2016, 20:27
Thanks tjj. I'm going, well as long as my lord & masters let me:)
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Oct 06, 2016, 21:22
That's been the rule for a while now, the old 'I'm alright Jack' attitude. I am admittedly more concerned for Wales as I live here, but the situation in Lancashire is appalling, totally undemocratic. If you cast your mind back to the Manchester Fracking protests and the abuse people suffered there by the hands of the Police I can see things getting a lot worse
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Oct 06, 2016, 23:11
"I will never vote Conservative again"

well something good's come out of it at least

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/oct/06/hes-rewriting-the-rules-locals-furious-sajid-javid-fracking-intervention

Flippant I admit, really I'd rather have some twit vote tory than have the fracking. Keep up the good work May
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Oct 07, 2016, 10:20
Oct 07, 2016, 06:36
We have fracking on the table just down the road from us at Kirby Misperton, Yorkshire and the county council have passed it! Then there is of course the sweet backhander of £10,000 to families personally promised by May who is giving us a 'democratic choice'.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/aug/07/fracking-bribe-public-accept-greenpeace-labour-cash
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Oct 07, 2016, 09:42
That is truly disgusting. It is though isn't it?

Can you imagine the scene at the table where someone came up with that. And I think I'm cynical.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Oct 07, 2016, 10:22
It's standard. They do it with wind turbines. A handout to the locals and a lump sum for the local playground etc. The agenda is to keep it as a local issue, as locals can be bribed, whereas the reality is that bad stuff is bad for everyone. Tarmac are currently doing it again at Thornborough: "a planning application has been submitted to North Yorkshire County Council by Tarmac applying to extend its Nosterfield Quarry. As part of it, it is proposing to ‘gift’ to an appropriate body in perpetuity control of the Central and Southern henges" (the landscapes of which Tarmac has already entirely wrecked, including a landfill site two inches away)
So no, you aren't very cynical. I am though!
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index