Public Sector Workers - Reality Check

193 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ChayCarle
13 posts

Re: Public Sector Workers - Reality Check
Jul 22, 2010, 11:10
geoffrey_prime wrote:
Might be contentious, but I am relieved that finally, Public Sector workers are going to be getting a feel for what many private sector employees have been enduring for a number of years - pay freezes, closure of final salary pension plans, reduced pension contributions..etc etc..

geoffrey_prime

Let me try and put you straight about us public sector workers. I’m a Vocational Trainer and Assessor at a Further Education College. I love my job.

However my salary whilst adequate for me to live comfortably is not huge. I was making more 15 years ago in the oil industry.

I and many of my colleagues work very hard to give our students a good experience. I am contracted to work 37.5 hours per week, but when adding the work I do at home both for my students and for my Continuous Professional Development I can often work 60 hours plus a week. No overtime pay.

In the 10 years I have been in the job our annual pay rises have been between 1% & 2%. Our union reps, and most of the staff, have been very responsible with regard to pay rises. We generally prefer to avoid the possibility of job losses and accept a small pay rise.

You obviously don’t understand the concept of divide and conquer.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index