193 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Public Sector Workers - Reality Check
Jun 29, 2010, 13:15
sanshee wrote:
Why are you 'relieved'?

Sure there is loads of waste in the public (and private) sector, and I have first hand experience of the former.

However there's nothing fair or even practical about addressing that by cutting the wages/hours of those at the 'bottom end' of the pay scale (frontline usually), now is there?

Actually, I've been chatting with various line managers at work about the likelihood of future redundancies here and they all seem to think it more likely - where I work at least -that it'll be those slightly higher up the hierarchy (ie Grade Cs and perhaps some Bs) who are more likely to get the chop first.

This does make some practical sense, as it'll publicly demonstrate to the electorate that this is a no-nonsense, balls-on-the-line administration that does everything it says on the tin (and, unfortunately, probably a good deal more ) and it'll save the Library more money as us humble Grade Ds and Es hardly get paid f*** all in the first place. Pretty soon lots of people on short-term contracts that have so far lasted for years will find for the first time that they won't be getting them renewed too.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index