Public Sector Workers - Reality Check

Pages: 20 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

Public Sector Workers - Reality Check
Jun 26, 2010, 00:37
Might be contentious, but I am relieved that finally, Public Sector workers are going to be getting a feel for what many private sector employees have been enduring for a number of years - pay freezes, closure of final salary pension plans, reduced pension contributions..etc etc..
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Public Sector Workers - Reality Check
Jun 26, 2010, 00:42
"relieved"

Yeah, what a relief... more people getting screwed and learning to accept it.

The nerve of those little people for expecting a decent wage and a pension.
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

Jun 26, 2010, 01:17
Hey Dave, the private sector have been screwed more, over the recent past.
From my own experience, I know my old colleagues in Civil Service and Local Government have been getting,what they see as "natural" either inflation and/or salary grade increases year over year. I moved out of public sector 20 years ago and I am working with some people who haven't had a pay rise in up to 6 years.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 26, 2010, 06:02
geoffrey_prime wrote:
I am working with some people who haven't had a pay rise in up to 6 years.

From which we can deduce, with some certainty, that they are earning more than the national minimum wage - which is what thousands of public sector workers are on.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jun 26, 2010, 09:44
So what you're saying is that deprivations to people in the private sector should be setting a benchmark for everyone else.

To me, this attitude of 'I got it bad, so in fairness you should too' is exactly what the corporate masters of the world love to see.... people squabbling and pointing fingers anywhere but in their direction.

I've been watching this rank and file conservative view grow over the years (anti-union, pro-corporate) and it's very disturbing to me. It's hastening the destruction of the middle class. Once that demographic has been eliminated, democracy and economic justice will be a memory.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jun 26, 2010, 13:31
handofdave wrote:
So what you're saying is that deprivations to people in the private sector should be setting a benchmark for everyone else.

To me, this attitude of 'I got it bad, so in fairness you should too' is exactly what the corporate masters of the world love to see.... people squabbling and pointing fingers anywhere but in their direction.

I've been watching this rank and file conservative view grow over the years (anti-union, pro-corporate) and it's very disturbing to me. It's hastening the destruction of the middle class. Once that demographic has been eliminated, democracy and economic justice will be a memory.

Until (unless...) we have a revolution... ?
CraigR
CraigR
479 posts

Jun 27, 2010, 13:48
The more you post the stronger my opinion of you; you're just a bit thick aren't you?
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Jun 27, 2010, 20:41
I'm going to a meeting with some poorly paid part time teaching assistants who are having their hours reduced tomorrow. I'll pass on your regards. Tosser.
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

Jun 28, 2010, 01:26
Yes, with you so far...so..what is the answer? as Lawrence suggests..is it a "revolution"?
Putting politics to one side..there is no doubt that public sector workers will now facing the same kind of austerity as that which the private sector have for the last few years.
I cant help coming back to simple economics that..unless you print money...you need money that you can profitabley earn...to fund whatever you need to fund. If you cant afford to do that, you tax. So if we have "over borrowed"..a measure of cost-cutting and tax-increases, doesn't sound too outlandish, in principle.
I have to give the ConLib/LibCon co. a brownie point though - at least I have a good idea about where they are going (whether I like it or not)...and that is a massive departure from the Blair-Brown era of government.
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

Jun 28, 2010, 01:31
yeah..I am a tosser who is not funded by the state,who is not supported by a union, who works on whatever.. and whenever needed, to earn my crust. Unlike most public sector workers I could be fired in instant...so I am a realist, believ u me. And..let's meet befor you call me a "tosser"..come on, be civil.
Pages: 20 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index