81 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: Hi Guys!
Dec 04, 2009, 14:57
DarkMagus wrote:
Hahaha! Comparing global warming with cancer/smoking & evolution/creationism is poor stuff indeed.

No, it is a position agreed on by 99% of scientists in the field with one or two dissenters.

DarkMagus wrote:
With the latter two it is possible to actually conduct controlled experiments to demonstrate the processes.

No it is not. That's why I made the comparison. You are simply wrong there.

DarkMagus wrote:
People have done this.

No they have not. Who's demonstrated evolution in a laboratory? i'd love to see that one.

DarkMagus wrote:
Mind you, we can't prove or disprove that some old guy with a beard designed the whole world & is controlling things. It does seem more likely that evolution is what happened.

Bingo!

Thankyou for the instant retraction, and now perhaps you get the point. That the overwhelming evidence points us towards one conclusion.

Why does 'more likely' suit you for evolution, yet having any dissenters at all undoes confidence in the science of climate change?

DarkMagus wrote:
With global warming we have theories and computer models

...and massive evidence that only one idea explains, and predictions based on it that have come to pass.

DarkMagus wrote:
Show me a climate model that has actually predicted anything succesfully.

James Hansen's paper in 1988
http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/abstracts/1988/Hansen_etal.html
included, amongst other things, a graph (figure a, page 9347)

It had three lines showing different possible atmospheric temperature rises, based on (A) large emissions growth, (B) moderate growth and one large volcanic eruption, or (C) emission reduction and a volcanic eruption.

What's happened is somewhere between the first and second lines, as you'd expect if Hansen was right.

Since 1988 there have been many more powerful and accurate models built.

Other stuff that's been predicted since the early 90s - warming of the troposphere, warming of ocean surface waters, cooling of the stratosphere, an imbalance between incoming sunlight and outgoing infrared radiation, greater warming in the Arctic than elsewhere - it's all happening.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index