122 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Freedom from X vs Y
Sep 22, 2003, 17:47
In response to several comments:

(Lawr): govt doesn't make us "free", govt is the OPPOSITE of "freedom", almost by definition.

Yet let's be realistic -- unless you want a REALLY hyper-competitive and predatory society, something is necessary to regulate our worse instincts (maybe you wouldn't kill & rob your neighbors if there was no law to punish you, but a few of your neighbors would be happy to do it unto you if they could get away with it.) I prefer a democraticaly elected secular govt to do the job of regulating the economy and enforcing social laws, though we must be ever-vigilant that it's influence remains as limited as possible.

(Mofre) As far as "feeling lucky" -- well, again it comes down to pragmatism. It could be worse -- I could be in N. Korea. That's just a realistic assessment of the alternatives. I don't live in an abstract concept, but a real world. Basically anyone who lives in N. America, Europe or Australia is "lucky" in that sense. Which begs the question, why are these parts of the world "more lucky" than SE Asia, the MidEast, etc?

"Free" compared to what? Other systems that currently do exist / have historically existed, or pipe dream theories?
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index