The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stonehenge & Environs

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
costaexpress
77 posts

Stonehenge & Environs
Nov 02, 2017, 11:14
In light of all the recent press and tv coverage the area has been getting I am going to revisit the area later this month and have a good walk around the wider Stonehenge environment. There are two sites in particular that I have not visited before and was looking for some assistance. The first is Bluestone henge. Is there anything to mark where the dig took place or is it simply the spot in the field where the coordinates place you. The second site I am interested in is Blick Mead. Looking at google maps I can't see an obvious way in. I believe it is sited on what is described as 'very private property', not sure how that differs from private property unless it is a sensitive government site. Not asking anyone to help me trespass, however, was looking for any hints eg starting point or anything that might help me work my way in
Smithone
2 posts

Re: Stonehenge & Environs
Nov 02, 2017, 14:42
Please do not attempt to access Blick Mead which is on private land and owing to the vulnerability and sensitivity of the site is not accessible to the wider public. Thank you for your understanding and respect. There will be some news about recent discoveries early in 2018.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Nov 02, 2017, 15:15
Did something similar a coupla months back, a large circular walk around the outer sites and environs. Mind you, it's fairly long trudge, and probably requires more daylight than this time of year, unless you're a pretty fast hiker. Was interesting that Stonehenge itself is fairly prominent in the landscape from all directions, just like Silbury. It's only the dip in the Avenue, and the final walk to them where it disappears below your sightlines before the big reveal. Looks spectacular when the sun is setting behind it.

Eng Heritage have a nice PDF of footpaths to the North of the stones plus various marker boards dotted around to illustrate the various sites and things to see...

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/stonehenge-landscape/documents/circular-route-from-durrington-to-stonehenge.pdf

I'm sure there was another walk PDf they produces for sites further out, but can't seem to find it online at the minute.

Don't recall there being any evidence of the Bluestone Henge dig (though that's the idea post dig, return the site to as you found it, or as best you can).

As the other poster Re:'da Blik', best left alone else it'd be trampled to hell.

Have fun if you make it, also take some warm clothes, as evening falls, it get remarkably chilly on the plain, even in early Sept when I did it.

If you fancy a linear tramp, there's a nice C4 PDf for the Tony Robinson series...

http://www.channel4.com/microsites/W/Walking-Through-History/Walking-Through-History2-Stonehenge.pdf
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 02, 2017, 15:46
Monganaut wrote:
Did something similar a coupla months back, a large circular walk around the outer sites and environs. Mind you, it's fairly long trudge, and probably requires more daylight than this time of year, unless you're a pretty fast hiker. Was interesting that Stonehenge itself is fairly prominent in the landscape from all directions, just like Silbury. It's only the dip in the Avenue, and the final walk to them where it disappears below your sightlines before the big reveal. Looks spectacular when the sun is setting behind it.

Eng Heritage have a nice PDF of footpaths to the North of the stones plus various marker boards dotted around to illustrate the various sites and things to see...

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/stonehenge-landscape/documents/circular-route-from-durrington-to-stonehenge.pdf

I'm sure there was another walk PDf they produces for sites further out, but can't seem to find it online at the minute.

Don't recall there being any evidence of the Bluestone Henge dig (though that's the idea post dig, return the site to as you found it, or as best you can).

As the other poster Re:'da Blik', best left alone else it'd be trampled to hell.

Have fun if you make it, also take some warm clothes, as evening falls, it get remarkably chilly on the plain, even in early Sept when I did it.

If you fancy a linear tramp, there's a nice C4 PDf for the Tony Robinson series...

http://www.channel4.com/microsites/W/Walking-Through-History/Walking-Through-History2-Stonehenge.pdf

Just popping in to offer the programme itself off the Tube

https://youtu.be/DBdv7NFGchg
costaexpress
77 posts

Nov 02, 2017, 20:34
Wow, Smithone you sound deadly serious. Obviously I will do nothing which could compromise such an important site, however, it is beginning to sound like our equivalent of Area 57, what goes on there that designates it 'Very private land' and makes it 'off limits' to the general public. I consider myself a very responsible antiquarian and would never do anything to endanger any protected site, however, you have of course raised the interest level enormously. Is it currently being worked? If not why is still so secretive, are there plans for further digs, are there artifacts still scattered around the area that could fall into the wrong hands, just whats the deal? (don't really expect you to answer that if it is so sensitive)
Hi Monganaut, thanks for the info, I found and printed out the walks from English Heritage, although they do cover familiar ground for me I am still looking forward to stomping around them again in particular paying a little more attention to the numerous barrows both North and South of the river. I was really looking forward to Blick Mead, however, may give it a miss until I can get official clearance following Smithone's request.
Thank you santuary, love the video, and want to follow the walk one day, however, on this occasion my description of Stonehenge and Environs is rather more limited to the Amesbury area.
Smithone has created a real dilemma for me, wont sleep tonight
Smithone
2 posts

Nov 03, 2017, 11:16
costaexpress wrote:
Wow, Smithone you sound deadly serious. Obviously I will do nothing which could compromise such an important site, however, it is beginning to sound like our equivalent of Area 57, what goes on there that designates it 'Very private land' and makes it 'off limits' to the general public. I consider myself a very responsible antiquarian and would never do anything to endanger any protected site, however, you have of course raised the interest level enormously. Is it currently being worked? If not why is still so secretive, are there plans for further digs, are there artifacts still scattered around the area that could fall into the wrong hands, just whats the deal? (don't really expect you to answer that if it is so sensitive)
Hi Monganaut, thanks for the info, I found and printed out the walks from English Heritage, although they do cover familiar ground for me I am still looking forward to stomping around them again in particular paying a little more attention to the numerous barrows both North and South of the river. I was really looking forward to Blick Mead, however, may give it a miss until I can get official clearance following Smithone's request.
Thank you santuary, love the video, and want to follow the walk one day, however, on this occasion my description of Stonehenge and Environs is rather more limited to the Amesbury area.
Smithone has created a real dilemma for me, wont sleep tonight

Any suggestion that this is an Area 57 situation will amuse all the local people that have been directly involved in the community archaeology aspects for over a decade. Information is readily available on the University of Buckingham website, finds are on public display in the Amesbury History Centre, and talks are regularly given there by Professor David Jacques and others. A number of a new tranche of MA students have been writing up their research and this includes film, some of their predecessors have theirs in a form which will be published shortly. As for the latest information such as carbon dating takes time and money, information prior to official publication would devastate crucial funding streams. As for access arrangements - unsurprisingly the owners and their neighbours are anxious about attention as they live in a World Heritage Site with over a million visitors – they rightly have established strict ground rules and could shut down the archaeology project if it isn’t managed carefully. It is not just for this the team are nervous - in one case an experiment run for over a year by the Natural History Museum was completely ruined by a trespasser, in another a trespasser’s boot prints devastated a recently uncovered pristine Mesolithic surface, and a third incident saw all but a small fraction of the equipment lost to arson. As for further digs, it isn't possible to predict until the results of the recent excavation are fully considered, and in case no one has noticed, we are fighting a Stonehenge tunnel that threatens the site through dewatering the WHS.
As stated, please respect the site, your cooperation is relied upon. Thank you.
carol27
747 posts

Nov 03, 2017, 18:08
Excuse my ignorance but if the owners live in a designated World Heritage Site how do they maintain governance over access & information? If Blick Mead is so highly sensitive an area, why has there been such readily available tv & other media outlets exposure ? The idiots that be have, i believe already decided on the Stonehenge tunnel. I wouldn't have submitted any of this reaction if the tone of your reply hadn't been so patronising, condescending & exclusive..you really do need to learn how to respond to people.
And yes, I know it's to do with valuable funding, necessitating the drip feeding of discovered information; & the poor landowners & their neighbours anxieties about millions of the great unwashed trampling over their patch; & the potential ruination of students thesis, not to mention valuable archaeology being ruined. That happens every day in many areas of the country. Oh dear, dont know why this has made me so mad. Just get on the telly & blather some more about this exclusive place.
Undeniably ignorant me. I await the backlash. Last post, Carol.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Nov 03, 2017, 18:16
Smithone wrote:

Any suggestion that this is an Area 57 situation will amuse all the local people that have been directly involved in the community archaeology aspects for over a decade. Information is readily available on the University of Buckingham website, finds are on public display in the Amesbury History Centre, and talks are regularly given there by Professor David Jacques and others. A number of a new tranche of MA students have been writing up their research and this includes film, some of their predecessors have theirs in a form which will be published shortly. As for the latest information such as carbon dating takes time and money, information prior to official publication would devastate crucial funding streams. As for access arrangements - unsurprisingly the owners and their neighbours are anxious about attention as they live in a World Heritage Site with over a million visitors – they rightly have established strict ground rules and could shut down the archaeology project if it isn’t managed carefully. It is not just for this the team are nervous - in one case an experiment run for over a year by the Natural History Museum was completely ruined by a trespasser, in another a trespasser’s boot prints devastated a recently uncovered pristine Mesolithic surface, and a third incident saw all but a small fraction of the equipment lost to arson. As for further digs, it isn't possible to predict until the results of the recent excavation are fully considered, and in case no one has noticed, we are fighting a Stonehenge tunnel that threatens the site through dewatering the WHS.
As stated, please respect the site, your cooperation is relied upon. Thank you.

Hear! Hear! Smithone. I am fairly sure that having read the above no-one who reads or contributes to this forum would want to trespass on the Blick Mead site. I have been following the fight against the Stonehenge short tunnel for a long, long while. It is often disheartening - the National Trust is very out of favour at the moment, not just over its support for a short tunnel but the foxhunting on NT land issue too.
Having said that (for Costa) I am posting a NT link to the details of the walk from Durrington Walls to Stonehenge - I have done this walk and found it very rewarding as it offers a perspective on the Stonehenge landscape a visitor might not otherwise get.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Nov 03, 2017, 18:26
carol27 wrote:
I await the backlash. Last post, Carol.

Why 'last post' Carol. This forum used to be a place where I personally learnt a lot and admittedly participated in some heated debates too. Some of the most knowledgeable contributors are long gone - a shame really. Please don't join them.
I have no idea who Smithone is but he/she has taken the trouble to post here and what has been said is correct as it happens.
All the best
June x
carol27
747 posts

Edited Nov 03, 2017, 18:43
Nov 03, 2017, 18:40
tjj wrote:
carol27 wrote:
I await the backlash. Last post, Carol.

Why 'last post' Carol. This forum used to be a place where I personally learnt a lot and admittedly participated in some heated debates too. Some of the most knowledgeable contributors are long gone - a shame really. Please don't join them.
I have no idea who Smithone is but he/she has taken the trouble to post here and what has been said is correct as it happens.
All the best
June x

Yes, sorry June. I have an authority problem. Time to grow up..perhaps a bit late now! Obviously not last post & I'm sure Smithys spot on x Its just.....grr!
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index