The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Alex Tor Cairn

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Alex Tor Cairn
Nov 02, 2017, 11:11
I paid a visit to Alex Tor down here in Cornwall yesterday. It was my first visit but I had to see the cairn which I'd heard so much about. I was not to be disappointed either, what a fantastic structure in a breathtaking landscape. So spoilt down here - stoneheads paradise!
https://youtu.be/wI0gBFUL1xQ
costaexpress
77 posts

Re: Alex Tor Cairn
Nov 02, 2017, 11:22
Great video, almost surreal quality like a demo for HD tv. Wish my dog would sit still like that. I really like that area on the edge of Bodmin although I have not walked Alex Tor (yet!), your enthusiasm tells me you enjoyed the day somewhat.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Nov 02, 2017, 12:21
Nov 02, 2017, 12:20
costaexpress wrote:
Great video, almost surreal quality like a demo for HD tv. Wish my dog would sit still like that. I really like that area on the edge of Bodmin although I have not walked Alex Tor (yet!), your enthusiasm tells me you enjoyed the day somewhat.

Thank you. Yes it was a wonderful day out which ended up at Louden circle and the cairn almost adjacent to it. Jan (my Border Collie) was staked out while I was filming because although she is a nearly fully-trained sheep worker, will cast herself out and gather a few for me if I'm not keeping an eye on her:-). She has recently 'taken over' from my wonderful Chief that accompanied me for years. 15 years old now and has suffered two strokes. Still very active but I'm not prepared to chance him having another in the middle of nowhere!

It was quite dull at times yesterday and not the best for filming although the sun did pop in and out occasionally. This one is better and my favourite circle - the Nine Stones Altarnun... https://youtu.be/5t0ix1tNl8o
costaexpress
77 posts

Nov 02, 2017, 20:10
Thanks for the link, my wife is going to have to nail my feet to the study floor.
thelonious
330 posts

Nov 03, 2017, 20:53
Nice video. Looks a good site.

I never think of taking a video clip when at sites. Definitely something I should think about. Gives a different feel than 'just' a photo. Thanks :-)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 04, 2017, 11:52
thelonious wrote:
Nice video. Looks a good site.

I never think of taking a video clip when at sites. Definitely something I should think about. Gives a different feel than 'just' a photo. Thanks :-)

Very much so.

I bought myself a decent bridge camera (Nikon Coolpix P510) a good while back now with really just the intention if taking stills even though it had excellent video capabilities. Was out on the moor when a small herd of ponies came jogging by one day and I took some stills and brought the video into play as well - never looked back since! To actually see something like ponies in full flight or your friends and family 'being themselves' is so much more interesting than them being just setup to have their mugshots taken. My most treasured possession is the video tape I shot with my elderly mum and dad while they were still here at my eldest sons 3rd birthday (he is 32 now). Absolutely priceless to me and with my first grandchild due in February something for her to treasure in the future to see her father as a child and his own grandparents.

I mainly use my camcorders (I have 5 now) as a 'notebook'. Rather than keep stopping and scribbling the details down on a site I am visiting or working on. I plug in the external mic and actually describe what I'm looking at in detail so that I don't forget something if making out a report later if working on a site at the time, or just for my own satisfaction.

Of course video requires movement to see it as its best, something you don't get naturally say filming stone circles, so you have to create it by keeping on the move. For serious stuff I film in silence and let the viewer take it all in without me giving a constant description and boring the pants off them :-). Recently though I have a friend who has been kind enough to overlay the film with suitable music and bird song to reflect the area on the moor it is being filmed.

Like this... https://youtu.be/zxDA7FWloTE
thelonious
330 posts

Nov 04, 2017, 18:02
I'm tired and a bit achy after a cold day in the hills.

I clicked play on your video, sat back with a cup of tea and after a few minutes I'm good again. It's wonderful and the music and pace of the filming is perfect. I love the sound of skylarks, easy to picture myself there :-) Thanks for sharing it Sanctuary.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 04, 2017, 19:48
thelonious wrote:
I'm tired and a bit achy after a cold day in the hills.

I clicked play on your video, sat back with a cup of tea and after a few minutes I'm good again. It's wonderful and the music and pace of the filming is perfect. I love the sound of skylarks, easy to picture myself there :-) Thanks for sharing it Sanctuary.

My pleasure Thelonious.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index