Newgrange: quartz and granite wall

67 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
gjdgjd
4 posts

Re: Newgrange: quartz and granite wall
Jun 21, 2016, 18:09
postman wrote:
Unesco should withdraw its world heritage status until there is a commitment to do something about it.

Now that made me say nooooo.
Got to put all that quartz somewhere, would you prefer a neat pile at the sides of the entrance with a big question mark on it.

Nooooo!
As I indicated in the previous post what I would like to do with all that quartz, having removed the learned Prof's 20th century technology steel reinforced concrete construction and reinstated the gently sloping earth mound down to the retaining stones (no problem if they stop the earth short as at Knowth to give a better view of the retaining stones), is to embed it in the earth "hillside" as a large curved surround (half a "lozenge") to the window and door and to reinstate the water-rolled granite as a perimeter around the quartz separating it from the rest of the earth mound. It has to have been like this for several reasons; firstly it requires neolithic technology only and secondly it would generate precisely the distribution of quartz and granite that the Prof saw and said "It's a (gradient filled pebble-dashed) collapsed wall" and thirdly people could stand in front of it and marvel at the neolithic mind and not laugh at the academic flight of fancy. The distribution (and varying ratio) of stones is actually what you would get from erosion of the earth mound into which these stones are laid/embedded. Gradual collapse, occasional stone mini-avalanche. etc.. Granite to quartz ratio high at the ends of the "half-lozenge" reducing to a low ratio at the middle of the lozenge (around the door/window) where there is a lot more area than perimeter.
Something needs to be done about it - people (both visitors and neolithic builders) deserve better than this.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index