126 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Edited Aug 20, 2016, 11:14
Re: Films Again - all new
Aug 19, 2016, 21:37
I find Christopher Nolan a bit hit and miss. The hits are stupendous and the near misses probably frustrate me disproportionately as they could have been great.

Heh! If you think Sellers role in Murder by Death hasn't fared well over time you should try Soft Beds, Hard Battles. Anyhow, Peter Falk is far and away the best thing about Murder By Death.

I'm afraid I'm not with you on the Tom Cruise thing. Minority Report especially annoyed me (being a fan of the Philip K. Dick story) ... the film completely blew the crux of the story. I found the need to provide Mr Cruise with some form of romantic interest detracted badly too.

A Star Is Born is powerful because of the tension set up between the principle characters in the narrative. Established star gives break to young hopeful, the two become romantically entwined, and then the newcomers success eclipses that of their benefactor. One star waxes as the other wanes and this places an enormous strain both on their relationship and the characters as individuals.

It doesn't hurt if you have Lionel Stander doing a wonderful job of playing a cynical circling vulture of a journalist relishing the disintegration of the erstwhile star. There are 2 postings of the full 1937 version on youtube at present.

If you prefer, there's also the 1954 Judy Garland/James Mason re-make on there.

I wouldn't recommend it, but the full 1976 version with Kris Kristofferson and Barbara Streisand is also on youtube.

Not sure what happened in 1996, as the film otherwise seems to have a pretty consistent 20 year remake cycle.

EDIT: Aha, The 1954 version was restored to the directors original full-length edit and re-issued in 1983. Fascinating account of the work can be found here: http://www.thejudyroom.com/asib/restoration.html

Further tantalizing account that further 'lost' footage still exists here:
http://www.thejudyroom.com/asib/asib-article.html
Topic Outline:

The Village Pump Index